Beautiful and Inspiring Art

Just wondering if anyone has any favorite artist, whose art is uplifting and inspiring?

We found out about Asaf Zakay’s artistry through an intro sacred geometry course.

He makes beautiful sacred geometry art out of glass.

4 Likes

Interesting giant pendant there, glass is a difficult material to work with has to be annealed a lot slower than ceramic to avoid breaking.

I know you hate amazon but the giant glass spheres outside their headquarters were designed by this artist he is still director of my Alma Mater but he used to teach more pottery.

https://art.washington.edu/people/jamie-walker

I only had one class with him a study abroad worked more with new prof at UW Michael Swaine he is focused more on ceramics and textiles/social justice, he used to repair people’s clothes with a vintage sewing machine on the street in San Fran.

https://art.washington.edu/people/michael-swaine

2 Likes

Here’s another good artist, Andy:

Good museum:

1 Like

This is a cool story from one of the members here.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing these links, @Bahri

The “Rivers and Tides” film is extraordinary, in terms of beautiful filming and artistry. Every screen capture was put together deliberately, and very artistically, and we loved Andy Goldsworthy’s nature art. This film really brings forth the concept of ephemeral. We appreciate the slow camera movements, so that the eyes can savour each artistic frame. (One brief section repulsed us, which was a man’s rough and brutish handling of a ewe about to give birth, and during and after the birth. That scene made us feel for the poor ewe, who was obviously frightened of the man, and she clearly wanted to run from him, knowing that his way with her would be rough and unkind).

I don’t know that “hate” would be a word for why we don’t shop Amazon – it’s rather more that we prize small businesses as the “little guy’s ticket to independence”. Small business is such a deep value point, that we are committed to supporting small businesses in our community, even if we pay more, and even if that means having less stuff. During lockdown, we did not wear masks or get vax passes, and we don’t have cell phone, so shopping was challenging for sure. We simply phoned the small businesses and farmers and asked if they would be willing to deliver or let us pick up from the door. They were so very grateful, and no Amazon was needed at all. Outside of our not needing or using Amazon, the Amazon Spheres look, from the description, to be very interesting architecture. Have you been there?

Thanks also for sharing a little about your teachers, the sculpture artists. Was art part of your architecture study?

Have you been to the Frans Hals museum in the Netherlands? Long time ago, we were in the Netherlands for a short while.

1 Like

Thanks for watching Rivers and Tides, that is really peaceful and calming cinematography except for the birth scene with the ewe I was upset by that too.

I haven’t been to these glass spheres in downtown, looks like they are only open to the public on the first and third Saturday of each month 20am to 6pm.

There is an amazing enclosed rain-forest at the Wichita Zoo I recommend going to also, I was surprised by that had no idea there is a rain forest in Kansas!

My major is in fine art sculpture, only have a minor in architecture and minor in art history. I had originally hoped to major in architecture but didn’t make it.

Watched Rivers and Tides when they had a screening of this at the Portland State University School of Architecture, I was an undergrad student there for one year. This architecture school is much better than the undergrad course series at UW in my opinion, but is much less competitive their acceptance right of applicants is closer to 80-90% instead of 25% at UW, probably just because UW is more famous.

Did go to Frans Hals museum for study abroad in art history, lot of art there at all the museums in The Netherlands and Belgium.

Sent you a message with card for Dutch art history prof I worked with, he started at university in Nijmegen for Propedeuse degree before going to grad school in Amsterdam:

One of his past students worked at the Van Gogh museum when we visited in 2016, really interesting history of that museum sounded like many of the past directors were very crazy.

Good to know it’s not hate you feel about amazon.

Small businesses can be good, many of those do use amazon.

Looking at buying a cash register for my small business I may buy one through amazon because they have good deals for those.

The amazon is an amazing river, don’t know why this company is named after that specifically but rivers are all about distribution and movement helping many different companies network and work together.

If anyone does want to learn how to make glass art I have heard this is a decent school for that but haven’t been there myself:

https://www.pilchuck.org/

I believe Chihuly went there, he made this chandelier:

https://www.chihuly.com/

Not really a follower of fashion (especially these days) but I sure appreciate culture, fine art and attention to detail … This was Dolce and Gabbana’s 2019 offerings at Italy’s Temple of Concordia … It’s STUNNING …

Thanks for sharing this beautiful video, @Freefall:

We, too, aren’t into fashion (for ourselves), and like yourself, do appreciate art and culture and beauty in various modalities. What is interesting about this is that, some while ago, a friend of ours, who is a member of the SMCH Association, also shared a video of a kind of fashion presentation of their members modelling their spiritual leader’s (who is a fashion/jewelry designer) clothing line.

When we looked at the two fashion videos one after the other, the one that you shared by Dolce&Gabbana, and the SMCHA one shared by our friend, it was interesting to see some similarities in terms of aesthetic artistry, and then also some differences in presentation style. The differences seemed rather stark to us, despite some of the artistic similarities.

We found it striking how all of the Dolce models wore a frown, and how the SMCHA group wore smiles, and what subtle effect that had on the viewing. Also, the SMCHA models were modestly clothed, while some of the Dolce models seemed almost like some kind of warrior. It is interesting how a fashion show can be a kind of art form, and how different moods can be conveyed, by attire, setting, demeanour of the models, and many other factors that go into the presentation of the show!