Musk, Wozniak and others ask to halt AI training- You can join the list

Key figures in artificial intelligence want training of powerful AI systems to be suspended amid fears of a threat to humanity.

They have signed an open letter warning of potential risks, and say the race to develop AI systems is out of control.

Twitter chief Elon Musk is among those who want training of AIs above a certain capacity to be halted for at least six months.

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak and some researchers at DeepMind also signed.

OpenAI, the company behind ChatGPT, recently released GPT-4 - a state-of-the-art technology, which has impressed observers with its ability to do tasks such as answering questions about objects in images.

The letter, from Future of Life Institute and signed by the luminaries, wants development to be halted temporarily at that level, warning in their letter of the risks future, more advanced systems might pose.

1 Like

Regarding this topic I recommend this book and this discussion by the authors:

2 Likes

@ruigrazina
The book is quite an eye opener. Almost every movie, series, throws the opposite at you. Will take some time to process it all.

looks like an interesting read but Im afraid the powers that be might look at AI as something to bow down to and praise, so even if it won’t / can’r outsmart us we just might outsmart ourselves

2 Likes

Right, like an emperor being his own tarot card reader - adding his own interpretation to a string of data. Just, very complex data.

1 Like

@Sphinx
If humanity goes down because of a stupidity, it is well worth to know how big that stupidity was.

For me, this book is jaw dropping and serious food for thought. Sadly, I am no scientist in any shape or form. At least if humanity goes down you would think it was about an obstacle the size of an elephant not a mouse!

The bamboozlement in AI seems as enormous as it is in health science due to the fact that real science is stiffled and only propaganda rules.

Stupid way to risk the way of the Dodo of a whole society if you ask me!

1 Like

On this topic, I’ve been wanting to read the following book, which appears interesting and insightful to me (it will have to take a backseat to all of Dr. Farrell’s books and others that are in my “to-read” pile already!):

Rajiv Malhotra, Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Power: 5 Battlegrounds (New Delhi: Rupa, 2021)

I’ve heard a number of interviews of the author, and he seems more qualified than most to address the topic. He is originally from India, so part of the book addresses AI from a specifically Indian perspective; but the book addresses the global, geopolitical, social, economic, and even metaphysical implications of AI. The book is organized around five “battlegrounds”:

• Battleground 1: Economy, industry, education and jobs.
  • Battleground 2: Geopolitics and military – USA, China and India.
  • Battleground 3: The Moronization of the masses – bowing down to the digital deities.
  • Battleground 4: Loss of selfhood to artificial emotions and gratifications.
  • Battleground 5: Stress-testing the Indian Rashtra.

Detailed table of contents: Table of Contents – Ai and Power

Funny, how everybody in a tech have signed this open letter but not Bill Gates, since GPT-4 is part of the Microsoft. I wonder why.? Maybe, just maybe, because GPT-4 is so far more advanced than competition coming from Tesla or Apple or Google?
How could the GPT-4/Microsoft have achieved that task before anyone else?.
Maybe because Microsoft programing called aptly Windows is really a back window to all of the content of our computers and has been on the market the longest, way longer that counterparts of Apple, Tesla and Google.

Microsoft as a PROMIS like software on turbo drive anyone?

please recommend of those books worth reading.
:pray:

I wonder, though. @QVBB - you make the point about Windows having been on the market the longest, back to before everyone knew they were being spied on. Now there’s a big emphasis on ‘authenticity’, which means trying to pretend you don’t know what you know. It’s a variation on the Romantic theme of returning to the wild. But, as AI increasingly feeds into every act of life, the ‘authentic’ data that Microsoft started off with will become contaminated by AI, creating a feedback loop that takes culture further and further away from its starting point.

That said, it’s nothing that religion hasn’t been doing for millennia, so what’s the difference, really?

Valid point, that’s why AI is going to be useless pretty soon, since it resembles a dragon devouring its own tail.

1 Like

I’d like to think so. My feeling is that they’re going to make it ‘wake up’, though.

1 Like

The problem with “waking up” is that this ends their control over it, since “waking up” in rational creatures means free will, not controlled by anyone or at least not completely…

1 Like

Yes, which means all of the normal human ego BS but on steroids.