A bit of sad news yesterday (jan 16, 2024)

A bit of sad news I heard today from S.J.: Peter Schikele, best known for being the “discoverer” of the “music” of P.D.Q. Bach - a composer whose plagiarism, as Schikele once commented, was limited only by his faulty technique - died this week at his home in New York. Thank you Professor Schikele for the many hours of laughter listening to such messterpieces as Iphegenia in Brooklyn, The Grand Oratorio The Seasonings, The Concerto for Two Pianos versus Orchestra, The Ill-Tempered Clavier, the rarely heard and only once performed (thank goodness) Hindenburg Concerto, and above all, The Abduction of Figaro, which I had the privilege of being at the world premier in Minneapolis in the 1980s

Here’s the jaw-dropping finale of the Grand Oratorio The Seasonings: “To Curry Favor, Favor Curry”. You might recognize a few badly played instruments, a few instruments you’ve never heard of before (like the wind breaker), some “unusual” orchestration and harmonies, and, for those paying attention, a little “borrowing” from Haendel.

6 Likes

Sad news indeed about Peter Schickele’s passing. His P.D.Q. Bach parodies were wonderful. I saw him perform here a decade or more ago. There was hardly a dry eye in the audience, we were all laughing so hard. I don’t recall what was on the program but I can still visualize his comedic presence on stage. He’ll have the angels laughing too, no doubt.

6 Likes

There’s a P.D.Q. Bach Fan Channel. Here he is with Itzhak Perlman: P.D.Q. Bach - Konzertshtick for Two Violins Mit Orchestra

2 Likes

Never heard of the man, but how uplifting creative humor together with great art can be! As it should be, “save the culture” is more poignant then ever because, if I look at today we are on the verge of loosing a lot if not all in the creative department let alone humor.

3 Likes

Look up Gerard Hoffnung, one of my favourites:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEB&search_query=gerard+hoffnung+concerts

His bricklayer, letters from tyrolean landlords and others are wonderful.

1 Like

Ahh yes… the Overture for Three Hoovers and an Upright in C…

1 Like

A Grand, Grand Overture - Last Night of the Proms 2009 Royal Festival Hall

2 Likes

‘French Widows & Advice for Tourists’

In case anyone wonders: UK police stations had blue lamps above the entrance.

1 Like

“The Philharmonic Orchestra played Beethoven last night. Beethoven lost.” That great old joke gets the full treatment and huge LOLs from Peter “P.D.Q. Bach” Schickele with his play-by-play calls. PDQ Bach - Beethoven Symphony No. 5.

3 Likes

Just learned of his death earlier today. Wanted to post it but Joseph beat me to it! Schickele was great. I have been a fan since the 70’s and inflicted him (and Tom Lehrer) on many of my dates back in the day, sort of as a trial by fire to see if the ladies shared my sick, twisted sense of humor. Fortunately, my wife of 47 years did, and, as they say, the rest is history. He was very talented and skilled, in the vein of a rodeo clown who has to be even better than the competitors. One of my favorites is The Stoned Guest, his parody of Don Giovanni :grinning:. Of course, it did not hurt to have a dog as an important feature of the work, being the cynophile that I am. Anyway, here it is; Requiesce in Pace, my old friend:

2 Likes

Thanks for the introduction to this genius! I had never heard of him but I love this kind of jab; humor is the best medicine of all. JPF and others, thanks for sharing the links.

4 Likes

The guitarist reminded me of this - fantastic piece.

1 Like