A CENTRAL BANK, A BARON, AND AN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: A PARABLE

Originally published at: https://gizadeathstar.com/2023/05/a-central-bank-a-baron-and-an-artificial-intelligence-a-parable/

(Translated from the incredibly high, turgid, and nearly incomprehensible German by me): Once upon a time there was a man who had reached the pinnacle of self-importance who loved to dress himself up in strange costumes of pseudo-academic and quasi-religious significance, and preside over meetings of the rich, wealthy, and powerful Masters of the World…

11 Likes

Haha, more chins than a Chinese laundry! It is a cast straight out of the cantina band scene in Star Wars. Surely 7 billion people can put their heads together and turf this $hitshow out of power. One can hope.

1 Like

Or a Korean phone book.
Bravo Josef !

2 Likes

reminds of the time i was in a Lowe’s store and when checking out the young man checking me out asked me if i wanted my receipt. i said yes and he said, “Don’t you know how many trees have to die for that paper.” me, being known for lack of filter, applied it this time and kept my mouth shut. when i got to the car, i burst out laughing and said, “didn’t he realize he had a whole lumber department in that store?”

3 Likes

With regard to the article that inspired this fun-to-read parable: I smell a rat in these continual stories about artificial intelligence in the propatainment media. I think this is yet more narrative prepping for precisely the purpose of foisting more “security” (read: invasive control) on us all. “Those criminal hackers can use artificial intelligence to impersonate you, so we need a less easily hackable digital ID. For your safety, if you want to access the internet, use a cellphone, or access your bank account, we’ll need a retina scan and sample of your DNA on file.”

Nothing cyber can be truly secure. Yet society at large seems to take it for granted that everything must be computerized and linked to a digital network. How sad, when the solution to hacking and deep fakes is simplicity itself: ditch the digital for important stuff. Analog records, in-person transactions, and a fungible physical medium of exchange are all it takes.

4 Likes

The reality of deep fake technology is one that can really impact our mental health. Just like the dawn of social media. I remember the early days of facebook, people used to share their location for trivial visits to local shops, or even what they were eating that day. Some even succumbed to virtual farming or fish breeding, feeling a sense of pride as they grew bigger virtual vegetables.

It’s easy to look back and see how it was all building toward the kind of surveillance platform that could both provide a panopticon for the overseers as well as feed the baby AI dragon that was being incubated by Google and the MIC.

And now we have the possibility that each interaction we have on chat platforms may not be with the person you think it is. Let that sink in for a moment. Imagine if you could take a conversation between two family members about politics and skew it slightly to provide doubt about a political candidate for example?

How many people would even know? Would they check every message with the recipient in person just to be sure? You get the idea. This kind of thing sounds like the irrational fear of a paranoid individual until you realise that it is perfectly possible with deep fake technology.

I absolutely agree with @FiatLux, analogue or organic or whatever you want to call it can help mitigate hacking especially in mediums of exchange and community.

And just be aware that we have a God given sense for when something is not right, the uncanny valley response as it were.

3 Likes

And if one thinks this forum isn’t monitored, think again. Who was it that said “When the populous no longer can distinguish real from false, our job is accomplished?”

2 Likes

Baron? What Baron? I only know and recognize two Barons in history. The Red Baron a pilot in World War I for his bravery and ingenuity in flying and close air duels. And the second is Baron Munchausen for his courage in lying and his ingenuity in lying. This modern one is nowhere near like them.
He has neither courage nor ingenuity. He looks more like a mindless automaton or rather an ordinary repeater.Wich he is infact.

Indeed. Not only do I think it’s possible, but I suspect it has actually been happening for some time now, on social media and online forums. For now, I think I can still spot most (not all) of the human trolls and the artificial-intelligence bots. I’ve done a lot of editing of other people’s writing, so I think that gives me a tiny edge, but for how long, who knows? Intuition definitely plays a role – that’s the truly human part that I don’t believe will ever be replicated by artificial intelligence or robots of the future.

3 Likes