A local library was having a sale on books

5 Likes

My library can’t give away all the copies of Twilight they have on their shelves…

2 Likes

I found a two volume set of HG Wells’ Outline of History at our local library sale this past August. Good reading so far.

3 Likes

Thank you for keeping older books alive

5 Likes

After the Wells volumes I’m thinking of tackling this all in one World History book. It’s about 1300 pages. Last edition I believe was 1972. If can get through these books I’ll consider myself “educated”:sweat_smile:. Here’s some pics.




3 Likes

Good googly moogly. That’s about the size of Tragedy and Hope by Carol Quigley, which i still have a few hundred pages to finish.

1 Like

… Langer was head of R&A for the OSS … read with caution.

1 Like

You’ll get there! If I were “Evelyn Wood” I’d feel obligated to read that World Book Encyclopedia set my parents bought us kids in the mid 70’s. Wouldn’t that be cool!? Or were things too far gone by then?

1 Like

Oh no. I don’t use reading glasses, but if I did what hue should they be? Red, Blue, etc. I mean to “filter out” or, to “Know Thine Enemy”:smiley:

1 Like

… my only admonition was to “read with caution”. The choice of “hue” of lens is entirely your own.

2 Likes

A Few More Book Sales: Book Sale Finder

2 Likes

I should get that! It looks good!
Thanks for sharing!

You’re welcome Chris. I look forward to starting the Langer book after the H.G. Wells volumes. It should be interesting to compare and contrast the raw information presented and analysis(?). In the later, I’m now reading about the tensions and power struggles between kings and the priestly classes of Babylon/Assyria; Egypt and China. They all seemed to have them!

2 Likes

The version of the Langer I put in my abebooks cart is from the 60s. I wonder if they updated the newer printings for awhile with current events, or if all the editions just stop at a certain time.

I have a 4 page handwritten list of books-to-read , whenever I buy one I write it there. This one I don’t forget and they don’t languish on the shelf. The first 2 or 3 pages have like 3 columns.
It’s far easier to purchase than to read, time-wise.
I think I get through about 1 per month worst case, 2 per month best.

I believe my version is up to and including the Fifth Edition. So possibly we have the same contents.

I like the idea of just going ahead and buying a used book if I’m the least bit interested, and putting it on a list. Then I could decide what suits me to read next.

1 Like

Yes it’s fun - then I do feel a sense of accomplishment when I cross it off after I finish it.
In this way, books you bought 2 years ago but didnt feel like reading yet, dont get lost or forgotten in the dead book office. :slight_smile:

My stack is starting to accumulate, and like the sense of accomplishment as well.

I think my strategy Langer book, because it’s so lengthy, is to be steady
with it, and have another shorter book to read alongside. This way I won’t feel “bogged down”.

My rule since reading is fun and one must focus is to allow 3 books at once max, roughly:
One ‘fiction’
One ‘nonfiction’
One ‘periodical/comic’
kinda

1 Like

That’s a good way to go. Mix it up, keeps the interest alive.

1 Like