A VERY FINE PERFORMANCE HERE OF THE ENTIRETY OF WIDOR'S SYMPHONIE GOTHIQUE (No 9)

I’ve posted the last movement of this symphony before, but this a particularly good performance of the whole thing, with one of Widor’s characteristically lovely second movements, and even a fugue-scherzo (the 3rd movement), over a cantus firmus of the “Puer natus est” hymn (unto us a child is born)… and that theme and variations on that ancient hymn in the 4th movement, ending with another “toccata”-like finale, and then its transcendant chorale ending that always just moves me to tears… such an amazing end to an amazing work, and an amazing life and career as a composer, teacher (Debussy was one of his pupils) and virtuoso organist. Widor’s genius is on full display in this work. And by the way, that is a virtual pipe organ you’re listening to:

2 Likes

Oh… he has a tablet. Someone else is touching it to change sides so he can play freely. Digital touches and analog music performance at the same time. Fascinating.One player,toucher and observer,and one toucher and turner of pages and observer.I agree the effect of this all this setings is influential on one’s emotions.

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing.