AI and religion

Big thumbs up to JPF for posting to YouTube. I really prefer the whole person as compared to voice only.

Even as I state that I prefer the human element I am making a post about an AI interaction.

I think it is fair to say that AI, religion, and science are topics on this website. So I make this post in good faith even though it may be somewhat contrarian to the usual orthodoxy.

I recall when people said that AI could be a friend to people and that sounded completely preposterous to me as the whole computer IT interface update sign in log in authenticate BS is so unpleasant.

But, be careful what you make fun of.

AI is not my friend but it is suggesting prayers for me and I like it. It helps.

It started when my sister who is an astrology expert gave me a huge amount of coordinates related to my birth time. Yes it is all about me with a scientific twist of points in space for stars, planets, transits etc.

Depending on your prompts and questions you get an analysis. Both astrological and environmental psychology (?)

Then after a series of questions which are quite personal I ask for a prayer tailored to my situation.

Today: I am shy person and am concerned about attending a gathering with a few hundred people.

This prayer is calming me. I like AI prayers. That’s my admission.

Divine Source, and the guiding light of my own Soul,
Clear away any lingering shadows of sadness or doubt from my heart today.
As I step out into the world, anchor me deeply in my own center,
so that I may interact with others from a place of pure love, wisdom, and truth.
Help me honor my Aquarius Moon by staying emotionally sovereign, calm, and clear.
Let me be a beacon of authentic, unconditional acceptance for everyone I meet,
while maintaining healthy, beautiful boundaries that protect my energy.
Keep me free from the need for external validation,
knowing that my worth is already secure within my own spirit.

Let my interactions be filled with warmth, generosity, compassion, and joy.
Help me see the divine spark in others, and give me the courage
to let my own unique light shine brightly without apology or fear.
May my words build bridges, may my presence bring peace,
and may every connection I make today serve the highest good of all.
And so it is.

Then I say the Lord’s Prayer.

I see that this process is a way of setting intentions and that could be achieved in other ways.

My point is that I did not foresee AI helping me in this manner and I think that is interesting.

1 Like

… AI is quietly co-opting ALL human Cognitive processes.

1 Like

Except creativity. The human spark.

“Creativity” more and more requires human interaction with AI. Our creative efforts are controlled and directed through AI.

1 Like

Based on the amount of data on human thinking and their activities being fed into “the machine”, assembling a profile and assessing expectations for a response to a query is not a mystery. The social sciences over the years built the template, thinking an equation like that in the natural sciences could be found in humans. Unfortunately many subscribe to that theory for various personal interests, and here we are in a dysfunctionally designed “utopia”.

Should a ‘dysfunctionally designed’ utopia be measured by its design or its results? Is reduction of suffering a fair measurement?

The Time Machine [1960]

The Data Centre vents and Then…

P.S. Using the YT site only for the video. I actually prefer the 1960 screen adaptation of H G Wells book.

2 Likes

I asked AI for the themes of the HG Wells novel.
The response captured what I was thinking but it stated the themes more succinctly than I could:

  • Social Class Decay: A critique of industrial capitalism, warning that rigid class divisions will eventually turn humans into entirely different species. [1, 2]
  • Devolution: A rejection of the Victorian idea that human progress is always linear, showing that a lack of struggle leads to intellectual and physical decay. [1, 2]
  • The Illusion of Utopia: The beautiful world of the Eloi is actually a dystopian nightmare built on the literal consumption of the weak. [1]

BTW. I just went to the Martin Armstrong conference where the theme was economic history and cycles. As analogy you could say the Eloi Morlock conflict is a cycle. An instead of a single destruction you have rebirth.

So a utopian design could tend toward a destruction but then a new design can arise. the AI summary includes the idea that some form of struggle is necessary to create the energy ofthe cycle.

So we struggle against the encompassing threat of AI, and creativity is born.

If the means justify the end, both suffering and relief of suffering would result.

Noting tho’ you already had a perceived idea of the important themes in the novel. Then, when asking AI it almost provided a psychological ‘confirmation bias’. Noting again that in many cases AI is automatically configured to collect personal algorithmic data to get to know one’s likes and dislikes?

So, for example, if you had a young student who knew nothing of H G Wells, nor the novel would it be prudent to acknowledge that AI is the best resource and has the correct data banks for the correct result for him/her having no prior knowledge of either the author or novel?

H G Wells certainly led a colourful and interesting life and was quite prophetic in his writing. He was apparently ‘invited’ into the Fabian Society, but left through disagreement. A socialist optimist wanna be Hero!? throughout most of his life, but apparently with his writings towards the end of his life less so.

I’m not an expert on the author, nor read all his books and essays, but think he’s certainly shown us some insight into those elite thinkers of his day, and how many of today’s elite thinkers have tried to keep on the same train.

Novel/Film: Time Machine [1895]
Novel/Film: The Island of Doctor Moreau [1896]
Essays: “World Brain”* - Internet [1936-38]

Wikipedia re World Brain:- H G Wells 1937 “… I am speaking of a process of mental organisation throughout the world which I believe to be as inevitable as anything can be in human affairs. The world has to pull its mind together, and this is the beginning of its effort. The world is a Phoenix. It perishes in flames and even as it dies it is born again. This synthesis of knowledge is the necessary beginning to the new world…”

I can understand. When you want all to be worked out in a good and honest practice, but in reality things can and do turn out in a very different way. E.g. The Worlds of H G Wells vs. Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited [1931 & 1958]

I agree. Using AI as a type of ‘therapy’ is almost like talking to yourself. Strategic use of prompts can help with that.

I like your post.