Cosmic Concioussness by Richard Maurice Bucke

I’m reading a fascinating old book for the second time called Cosmic Consciousness…

I thought I would share a few pages, I’m pretty sure it is out of print… I’m on a chapter about our human faculties.

It theorizes that the age in which infants gain new faculties correlates with how long that faculty has been present in the human race. For example memory and simple consciousness appear within the first few days of birth because it is the oldest faculty. Curiosity appears after ten weeks, use of tools after twelve months, shame/remorse/ a sense of the ludicrous at fifteen months… and so on.

There is also an interesting chapter about our color sense… Below makes a case for Blue being the latest color for humans to be able to detect. But our ability to recognize many different colors may be relatively new…

(Side Note: I hope to read Dr. Farrell 's latest book but I can’t bring myself to order it off of Amazon, I have never bought anything off of that site and do not intend to start, does anybody know any other retailers that carry it?)

2 Likes

I just found an electronic version of the book (first published in 1901, written by Dr Richard Maurice Burke) online, on one of those slightly dodgy free-library websites. I wasn’t sure if I’m allowed to post a link here.

Thanks for the heads-up, looks fascinating!!

2 Likes

Fascinating find.Thank you.

1 Like

Here you go, Amazon-free:
https://www.adventuresunlimitedpress.com/search.php
Many available here. I’ve already ordered the latest - The Demon in the Ekur - but it won’t ship for a couple of months
or Lulu (2 pages)
https://www.lulu.com/search?page=1&q=joseph+p+farrell&pageSize=10&adult_audience_rating=00

1 Like

If you allow a little advice. Don’t. Copyright is in question. Sharing such links to electronic versions here is not at a price, on the contrary.
It is enough that the title of the book and the author as a name are given.Up and below.Pirates will certainly find their way and what they want anyway. :wink: :pirate_flag:

1 Like

That was the nagging feeling I had when I thought about it, then reconsidered.

Thanks for the advice !!

1 Like

The Archive.org site maintains copies of books, music etc and is legal. Their copies are not current books for sale but if they are in a public library a digital copy is often available to borrow. I use the site to read books I don’t care to add to my personal library.
The site is supported by many library organizations and others to preserve otherwise unavailable books no longer in a library stack.

https://archive.org. Access is free after sign up.

4 Likes

copyright is an other name for our children’s control, may them be mental, psychic or material. period.
one cannot and may not control thoughts and ideas, let alone human beings. it’s impossible to do so.
it’s like stealing 2+2=4.

1 Like

Here’s an interesting video about Disney and Copyrights. It’s so ironic that the Disney Corp has basically written our modern day copyright laws and all of their original movies were copied from public domain works… I cracked up when this video said “If you re-wrote your own Star Wars story, it’d be like taking the food right out of George Lucases mouth.” haha.

2 Likes

no surprise that Lucas got fat in the mealtime…
it’s a great video by the way