Critical Thinking and Reasoning Materials

Since the world has entered the stage of burning books to enhance our diversity, I have been thinking in earnest about maintaining a better selection of books on important topics. I have a brainstorming question to throw out for some help on compiling a reading list. I have two small children and need to plan for educating them. I’m a bit older than the typical parent of toddlers (A BIT OLDER!) and need refreshing a bit on some things. With the extreme lack of critical thinking and reasoning skills evident within the culture I am looking for ideas on your favorite books on these topics. Hopefully even finding useful material suitable for beginning a foundation with small children.

1 Like

For the young ones, I recommend the Trivium and Quadrivium. If you’re going to do a homeschooling approach, there is material and curriculum out there that is centered around these methodologies. This is specifically a critical thinking methodology, not what to think, but HOW to think.

Here is a great video on the topic: Critical Thinking Methodology : Trivium Quadrivium, HOW TO THINK NOT WHAT - YouTube

4 Likes

Thanks Much… Exactly on target!

Philosophy for Children (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy) … the bibliography at the end of this Stanford entry is a good running start. Be cautious there’s a mix of stuff out there, some good, some bad. My kiddos were subjected to quite a bit of Phil. and don’t appear to have suffered much damage. :slight_smile:
“If you’re studying geology, which is all facts, as soon as you get out of school you forget it all, but philosophy you remember just enough to screw you up for the rest of your life.” ― Steve Martin

Montclair State University, NJ: Institute for the Advancement of Philosophy for Children. … has some pretty decent material. Be discerning. As Plato said “know thyself … and your kids” … a rough paraphrase of Plato of course.

1 Like

Thank You! I appreciate the help.