Hi all,

We went out to this film in the normal cinema (they had a deluxe one but it was later in the day) to get a nice matinee price, last Sunday the 4th.
I went in with fifty-fifty expectations, only having seen the promo poster and that it was Cruise’s first non-action role in over a decade.
This already piqued my interest.
He is great in Magnolia, and when teamed with a great director, it could be promising!
Would he only play ‘himself’? Would he just be a Richard, an arrogant actor just being Tom Cruise?
Well, yes and no.
But mostly NO!
He really got into his character.
I don’t want to spoil the film, but I will say the big CHANGE they introduce in the first quarter of the film really threw me at first.
I was starting to sour on the film.
BUT ! Then, it all ties together, with layer upon layer!
I will say no more than that, in regards to plot.
This is definitely high art, and very extremely clever satire.
Innaritu is a great director, and I believe he helped write the script. So this is very well done writing, acting and producing.
I loved his Babylon, and also The Revenant.
Cruise does not just play himself, he gets into his role greatly. And he is very versatile, in some senses playing 2 roles or more.
The supporting cast is also amazing. The head scientist is a great character, and I love how he stands up to Digger’s bullying and pontificating. Thats Riz Ahmed. And I KNEW I recognised John Goodman’s voice! He does an amazing job as the President of the USA! Really funny. He lost a lot of weight in his old age. And still very witty and projecting.
I highly reccomend this, and I give it either an 8 out of 10 or 8.5.
The critics are (as usual) plumb wrong, or just stupid.
Maybe they see themselves in some of the hypocrisy the film points out ,and dislike it?
Go give it a shot and tell me what you think.
This has NOT been a paid advertisement.
Financials: I paid about $37 for 2 tickets, and about $30 for a large nachos and 2 beers
Run time is about 2 hours exactly on the dot.
