Flock Safety is Herd Control

I thought about posting this on the recent Facial Recognition thread; however, I believe it warrants a dedicated one.

From Wikipedia:
Flock Safety is an American manufacturer and operator of automated license plate recognition (ALPR), video surveillance, and gunfire locator systems. Founded in 2017, Flock operates such systems under contract with law enforcement agencies, neighborhood associations, and private businesses, and as of 2024, claims to operate in over 4,000 cities across 42 U.S. states.”
NOTE: The Wikipedia page is informative and worth a read, IMO.

Gosh, where to start? I find each product description quite disconcerting when portability, scalability, ease-of-use, interoperability, compatibility, speed, accountability (lack thereof), AI-ility, etc., are considered. This is not just for law enforcement agencies; it seems any organization can purchase their products and services and become a surveillance portal. How long before these are as common as stop signs?

Snapshot of their Products:

Snapshot of their Solutions:

1 Like

Welcome to the surveillance state where “everybody knows you”…wonder what ACLU means by restrictions on monitoring to avoid 1st amendment violations? Monitored surveillance? What does that look like? :joy:

3 Likes

It won’t be too long before these things are ubiquitous, at least in the cities and richer parts of the world, if Mr. Globaloney gets his way. This kind of tech won’t just be as common as stop signs; it will be on stop signs. I think/hope the situation will vary by country and jurisdiction.

However, regarding all the surveillance tech coming down the pike, I do wonder whether tech-savvy hacker types will find ways to use some of it against Mr. Globaloney and his lackeys. Just think of all the scandals that have been revealed because so many people carry around surveillance devices that can record video.

1 Like