He said WHAT? Dostoevsky was Anti-Semitic?

Found in a lecture I’m reading. Evidently he saw what we are dealing with today. “The Club” is not made up of just Zionists, but interested parties with the same goal in mind.

The greatest Russian novelist, Fyodor Dostoevsky, whose treatise about the Jews is, even today, kept carefully hidden away by the co-called Western “free” publishing houses, wrote in 1877, in his Diary of a Writer, “In the very work the Jews do (the great majority of them, at any rate), in their exploitation, there is something wrong and abnormal, something unnatural, something containing its own punishment.” [Slezkine, The Jewish Century, p.156] “Their kingdom and their tyranny is coming,” Dostoevsky wrote. “The unlimited despotism of their ideology is now only beginning. Under this tyranny human kindness and neighborliness as well as the longing for justice will fade away; all Christian and patriotic ideals will perish for ever!” [Louis Marschalko, The World Conquerors: The Real War Criminals (London: Joseph Sueli Publications, 1958), p.50]
Here is Professor Slezkine again, about the prevalent attitudes among Russia’s Jews of that time, toward their Gentile neighbors:
Not only were goy (“Gentile”), sheigets (“a Gentile young man”), and shiksa (a Gentile [i.e., “impure”] woman) generally pejorative terms that could be used metaphorically to refer to stupid or loutish Jews; much of the colloquial Yiddish vocabulary dealing with goyim was cryptic and circumlocutory. According to Hirsz Abramowicz, Lithuanian Jews used a special code when talking about their non-Jewish neighbors: “They might be called sherets and

shrotse (reptiles); the word shvester (sister) became shvesterlo; foter (father) foterlo; muter (mother), muterlo, and so on. Khasene (wedding) became khaserlo; geshtorbn (died) became gefaln (fell), geboyrn (born) became geflamt (flamed).” Similarly, according to M. S. Altman, when Jews of his shtetl referred to Gentiles’ eating, drinking, or sleeping, they used words normally reserved for animals. The Yiddish for the town of Bila Tserkva (“White Church”) was Shvartse tume (“Black filth,” the word tume generally denoting a non-Jewish place of worship). [Slezkine, The Jewish Century, p.108]
M. S. Altman’s grandmother “never called Christ anything other than mamser, or ‘the illegitimate one.’ Once, when there was a Christian procession in the streets of Ulla [Belorussia], with people carrying crosses and icons, Grandma hurriedly covered me with her shawl, saying: ‘May your clear eyes never see this filth.’“ [Slezkine, The Jewish Century, pp.108-109]

1 Like

anybody ignorant surprised?

Finely came across how the phrase “ beyond the pale” originated and what it really means. I seem to be stamping out my own ignorance every day as I continue reading and researching human history. My my how easy it is in many ways to deceive a populous.

Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

“The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived.”

I don’t think it would have been unusual – at least not totally shocking in the Russian Empire at the time – for a Russian of Dostoevsky’s day to say such things. There’s a long, fraught history, with a lot of bad blood going way back, between Russians (as well as Ukrainians) and Jews.

Based on the material I’m reading seems the Jews were quite adept as lease holders from the nobility to manage resources, including alcohol manufacturing and distribution of it to the serfs and peasants which probably provided relief of their miserable conditions, just as drugs do today. Lots of easy money.

I think, at some point when parts of the Ukraine were ruled by the Polish, the tax collectors for the Polish nobility typically were Jewish. Even if there were no other reason for bad feelings, tax collectors are never popular.

1 Like

Yeah they probably provided free drinks at local pub (which the tax collectors owned)! when they paid the taxes.