Here Come The Inklings!

Two of our beloved bards, Lewis and Tolkien, were members of an informal professor-student literary group at Oxford in the 1930s and 40s known as The Inklings. This four-part lecture series at Hillsdale College elucidates.

January 30 - February 2, 2022
Videos:
1. Who Are the Inklings?

2. C.S. Lewis’s The Abolition of Man

3. J.R.R. Tolkien’s Scholarship

4. Themes of Lewis’s Fiction

4 Likes

The pub Lewis and Tolkien drank in was one of the many Oxford businesses that died during the fakedemic. Such a shame.

The Eagle and Child

3 Likes

Makes me want to renew my subscription to the Tolkien Society.

2 Likes

Hi maccabee – welcome in!

Looks like they may re-open hope so:

3 Likes

Hi B, If they do re-open, let’s all go for a visit and be little inklings. I just love feeling that word … inkling …inkling …inklings…

Yes you can be captain ink.

1 Like

For some reason I couldn’t get any of the four to play?

1 Like

If you’re still having trouble: I’ll send you where to sign up free, RB, for the lectures at the college link they sent me. Our inklings would never be complete without you!
Email: DrAliciaHill@protonmail.com

1 Like

Only for an hour. Then, it’s your turn. We are rotating leadership among all of us. lol

1 Like

ok sure the Inklings will rise to even greater glory than before

1 Like

We could go on a field trip to Cambridge, never been there!

1 Like

Just re-checked it.
It’s working now!
Thanks.

2 Likes

That was a good presentation the first one, said he used to have a few pints of beer before teaching his early afternoon class lol!

1 Like

Cambridge is beautiful, I grew up there. King’s chapel has amazing acoustics. The Fitzwilliam museum is well worth a visit, so many treasures. Punting is much better than in Oxford, go past many colleges all the way to Grantchester for tea. Ah, memories…

4 Likes

Oxford has good food carts I got some good Baba ghanoush there from a cook who said he served a lot of p.h.d. students.

2 Likes

I’m sharing the Inkling lectures with one of my students; she’s a beginning fantasy writer and may want to be included in these field trips! :books:

1 Like

The last time I was in it (2018) it did feel like it was in need of refurbishment. I hope they find a willing partner soon.

1 Like

There does not seem to be anyone interested, its starting to look very dilapidated.

1 Like

Last time I was there was late 2017 and 2018, can’t remember if I walked by that pub.

No work is happening then it is deteriorating sitting empty?

Had started process to emigrate may be a good idea to do that if I can line up work there could repair this building at least if there is any funding for that.

1 Like