Hermetica - The Good and the God

1. Though, then, the Good is spoken of by all, it is not understood by all, what thing it is. Not only, then, is God not understood by all, but both unto the gods and some of the men they out of ignorance do give the name of Good, though they can never either be or become Good. For they are very different from God, while Good can never be distinguished from Him, for that God is the same as Good. ( The Corpus Hermeticum, II. To Asclepius translated by G.R.S. Mead)
8 Likes

Hi Dana, which edition?

Can be found free online at sacred texts.

1 Like

i managed to have a coperhaven hardback. nice emerald coloured.

2 Likes

And Jesus said unto him, “Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God.
Mark 10:18

1 Like

… on this question see also Plato’s Euthyphro Dialogue … where the question guiding the inquiry appears as … “Is the pious loved by the gods because it is pious, or is it pious because it is loved by the gods?” … of use here also is The Metaphysics of Aristotle. Ah, the blessings of Aporia.

1 Like

god is good
thats all folks

These apparent paradoxes are useful to make the leap from dualistic to triadic reasoning.

2 Likes

Good to one person may be Bad for another. Good to a person about to eat a meal thanking GOD for the feast is a nightmare to the animal that was industrialized, processed and dispersed for consumption. I have a cat that was considered a family member. I do not think it is good that a coyote would eat her or be sold and processed in a food market to a culture that eats cats or dogs for that matter. It has been said by sages that GOD is all encompassing and is beyond human understanding. They say: GOD created “all things” in heaven and on earth. Therefore he is more than Good/evil but has provided a world where both exist and it is the consciousness of perception that determines to what extent. Hence we have the dilemma of “for the Greater Good”. This can have multiple views of " what the greater good " represents depending on the motives of the individual. “Freedom” is viewed by many as a standing fundamental principle essential for individuals in a society to live a healthy and prosperous life[the greater good}. While others would scoff at the concept and determine that “Safety” much to the detriment of freedom is the determining factor involved with the greater good. We see this playing out in the world with the vaccinated and non vaccinated.

3 Likes

Hmmmm … exactly, if my neighbor’s house burns down that’s good, if my house burns down that’s bad. Wouldn’t it just be easier to say that the judgment of “good” or “bad” is dependent of the effect on me of a particular event?

If God created all things, then God created consciousness of perception. A few Qs … Is this “consciousness of perception” in each and every individual? Was this “consciousness of perception”
distributed to each and every individual with the same “power [levels of ability to correctly ascertain and interpret those perceptions]” and “awareness” of this consciousness and ability? Since there are, it appears, differences of behavioral outcomes of this consciousness of perception it doesn’t appear to be a very helpful or useful aspect of creation in that it appears to create multiple cases where logically incompatible conclusions to the same argument are possible (i.e. … it is T that a certain state of affairs exists in the world and it is the case that the same certain state of affairs in the world is F). Are we surprised that “toleration” no longer appears to work? It never really worked to begin with now did it? Isn’t the vaccinated v non-vaccinated situation a specific instance …
Welcome to the World of Nominalism! Nominalism triumphed in the 13th Century and we’ve been living in this maelstrom ever since and just now are realizing that we are in grave danger of no longer being able to maintain the circling of the drain … see Edgar Allen Poe’s ‘A Descent into the Maelstrom’ … Democritus may have been wrong about where truth may be found …

3 Likes

Ding, Ding!! GOD created consciousness and I would venture to say that he is “Divine Consciousness”! I would also gather that there are multiple levels of consciousness that vibrate at different frequencies. Hence the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. Many yogi’s renounce the world in pursuit of GOD consciousness through various disciplinary ascetics. It is the EGO which is the stumbling block upon the path that thwarts so many. The Bhagavad Gita is the battlefield of this ancient internal battle for many Hindus. Christians pursue contemplative prayer to unite ones consciousness with that of Christ in order to walk in spirit. Brother Lawrence the Carmelite monk of the 16th century shared some wonderful insights into this consciousness. “Practice of the Presence of GOD”. If your neighbors house burns down it is not necessarily good especially if you resonate with them. I believe Christ once said: matthew 25.40 Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me. Christ also resonated with GOD claiming --" I and my father are ONE" signifying a divine consciousness link however making a very clear distinction that he was not the father by referring to Matthew 24:36 ect…If one resonates with GOD then they resonate with all creation on thee highest level…for GOD connects all hearts–even your enemies…

2 Likes

God doesn’t have to eat, but we do. We can go vegan and do no harm, but then we harm the plants. If everything has consciousnesses, we can only do no harm if we become like the plants and get our sustenance from the sun. For me, it’s a guilt trip I will never be free from. So I do what my ancestors always did, and thank the beast who gave its life for me. That’s one way out of the good/bad dilemma concerning the consumption of another entity. The secondary guilt trip comes after I’ve realised that I’ve forgotten to say thank you. It’s never ending! I guess that comes with the territory.

I’m of the opinion that we are all at different levels and stages in spiritual development. Swami Sri Yukteswar once said in “Holy Science” that one should eat according to their personal constitution. If you are OK with being a vegetarian or meat eater or vegan it is all OK if it is palatable to your consciousness. There is a great misunderstanding thinking that if you are vegan no creatures are killed. Actually more insects are unknownly killed and sometimes consumed by vegans. Even the Jains accidentally kill insects while walking or breathing which is why a few of them wear complete drapes over their heads and sweep the floor with feather dusters before they step. That my friend is quite extreme!!! It sounds like you have a good way of accepting your dietary choices.

Im a little new here. I noticed Joseph Farrell wrote a whole book about Yahweh as essentially a Demiurge. I also noticed his background in Patristics as well as teaching at Orthodox Seminary.

1 - did Joseph leave the faith? Does he ever describe/explain this?

2 - does Joseph propose something positive to take the place of Yahweh or Yawistic religion? Would that be Hermetecism? (I tried the Jungian route but got freaked out by some Luciferian elements)

Links to videos, essays, books etc to answer these inquiries are appreciated.

Welcome DanaThomas!..