Hippies with technology! (Some Good psytrance)

Well, this is all new to me despite my hippie-dom and hallucenigenic college education(s), so I am interested in and appreciate your explanation. Invigorating, actually; dark or otherwise. From Bach to psy trance… Gizadeathstar

ohh, the ol’ faceworn Sphinx!

will adjust to circumstances appearing…

Hehe, when we talk about Hendrix we talk guitar, and guitarist use distortion as an effect with fuzz and distortion pedals.
DIstortion relating to studios and recording means you record it on too high volumes,.causing the total soundscape to be distorted.
And trust me; are you experienced are NOT recorded to high.
Theres a huge difference.
If its recorded with too high volumes everything sounds distorted, not just the guitar,.
Make any sense?

1 Like

Loving this thread.
Faster, stronger, harder!

1 Like

gems forever.

Yeah i agree that making music with vocals and recording various instruments is alot more time consuming then just mixing stuff on a computer.

And most people wont know the difference between a copy pasta track with sounds from a generic effects pack and something where the producer has made everything from scratch.

But being close to some talented and hard working producers ive seen what the process can look like if done with the purpose of being something totally new.

Like only using sounds from nature, actually recording instruments and then cutting and mixing them etc.
It can easily be as time consuming as making “real” music if the producer really loves his craft and is trying to make something that stands out.

But even at the best festivals i would say that 1/10 of the lineup is on that level of skill/dedikation.
Most are capable of making good music, but they still copy others sound and arent really pushing the genre forward.
Most make something that sounds like someone elses stuff.

Here is a very talented producer who is actually was a real musician before he started making edm.

Yes, it makes sense. The whole recording session is distorted.
I stopped listening to any new music in the early 90’s, just part of my karma so to speak. The new music was lacking soul, at least from my perspective. Same with movies and other forms of entertainment. I used to watch movies from 30’, 40’s, 50’s but the 20’s were a little too new and 60’s on up seemed cold and stripped of some magical nuance for me. I was becoming “Dad”. “Damn kids don’t know anything these days.”, had come full circle. I was anti-older generation, but now had become same.
Matteo Mancuso is one of the “hot” guitarists of today. A genius without doubt and gives the credit to his father, who taught him. His respect for dad wins my heart. He is greased lightning, but needs some soul. For me, I like Danny Gatton, Lenny Breau, Larry Carlton, Joe Pass, on and on and a host of people who now live in Nashville.

I play with a guitar, now and again, but would never say I play the guitar. I achieve a gentle amount of distortion without the fuzz or other peddles. Comes from older non-humbucking pickups that are thin, but a little hot at the same time. A thousand variations on the electronics.

nothing beats the sound of a well build guitar imprented with your personality.
I agree the major labels released more music without feel as the moeny got humoungos, but there was i feel a backlash to that with a bunch of indie labels popping up, srill doing it for te love of music.
It takes some effort on ones own part finding them of course but theres still a bunch of great bands out there.
Its getting easier with podcasts popping up if you find the ones with yr own taste you can discover new artists that way and also Spotify has a function " arists like" that one can dive into…
Have a nice day

1 Like

of course check out Simon Posfords project after lockdown.
Maybe a bit ambient for your like, but with birds from the garden and his sister on piano and vox.

Mos def one of the better producers out there .
I would also claim he is ine of the few artists in this “genre” ( i know, theres a ton of subgenres), that evolves.
He also created the goa trance sound in my view, with a couple of others.
so he got a true crearive mind

2 Likes

There is still alot great music/movies being made, however it easily gets drowned in the sheer volume of crap that is getting out nowadays.
You really need to be a fan of a certain genre to have the drive to find the good stuff.

2 Likes

He added a Hermit Thrush… It’s song is an echo of itself. Could not be more appropriate.

2 Likes

Dad has taken control. It’s a mental block that brings tears for the past and fear for the future. Tomorrow is a promissory note, yesterday a cancelled check, today is cash on the barrel. And I still can’t move.

2 Likes

Anyone listen to Dark Side of the Moon synced up with the beginning of Wizard of Oz and Dorothy’s descent into the world of color?

Ahh, my college days were “interesting” at times. I’ll leave it at that.

Great pink Floyd album :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Not synced but I did listen to that recently. Produced very nicely.

1 Like

Goa Trance is some interesting stuff.

I prefer Vocal Trance I love how some DJs mix the beat to some beautiful Voices of ladies. I cant do straight “boom boom boom” tunes.

I want to hear singing, with beat, strings, piano, ect.
I listen to Solarstone’s “Pure Trance Radio” often. It’s where ive picked up a bunch of my favorite trance Songs and tunes.

@Soupcommie
I bet your Friend listened to this tune also. This was one of my first trance song encounters, and my favorite GOA trance tune. In my teen years in the 90s we could whip the glowsticks with awesomness to this party tune

1 Like

Yeah those are really nice old school tunes.
One of the first festivals i was att had posford,raja ram and alot of other oldschool pioneers playing.

1 Like

Here is some nice newish Goa tracks.
Even though its not a big genre anymore there are some peeps trying to keep it alive.