Jane parker smith performance video

Most of you know my admiration for the French “symphonic” organ composers, Franck, Saint-Saens, Guillmant, Vierne, and especially the “grande maitre” of them all, Charles-Marie Widor. I also very much admire the performances of the late Jane Parker-Smith. Someone found a video of her performing some of these monster pieces in Germany, along with an interview with her, from 1981. While the sound quality is not all that great, you get the idea of the intensity and virtuosity of her performances in this video, particularly of the Widor 6th’s famous opening grand movement, and the two movements from Vierne’s 2nd and 1st organ symphonies. You can see the intense concentration on her face. She was a remarkable virtuoso… R.I.P Jane Parker-Smith, and thanks for all the wonderful performances…

5 Likes

Wow! Thanks Joseph, it’s a real shame I haven’t listened to classical organ music (except Daquin) earlier. I can hear the appeal of the French Romantics for sure and Jane Parker-Smith’s virtuosity. Such a beauty too!

She was a pretty lady for sure. She had a quiet intensity.

1 Like