Mi6 warn of China's debt and data trap

The head of Mi6 makes an announcement on how China is using AI to spy on the west. I wonder if this 66 qubit monster is involved?

2 Likes

The quantum computing interests me, though my understanding of how it performs computations is woefully lacking. I thought it worked by adding “maybe” to the either off or on system as a binary chip works, but then I watched a “Forum Borealis” video with the guest Cliff High and was thrown into complete confusion. With the way the world is changing, I feel I don’t have time to learn about it. Seams like a very good understanding of electricity is necessary for starts.

I’m more of a ZX spectrum guy so quantum entanglement is above my pay grade.

1 Like

About fell off my chair when I looked up “ZX spectrum”!

2 Likes

Amazing what people used to squeeze into 16 kilobytes

1 Like

So true, and also @ 9600 baud.

I find it interesting that given Moore’s Law we have seen such an increase in data bloat. It seems we need a new law to describe the attenuation of efficiency as a function of lazy programming.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. I wrote a program for a database in the early 90’s for all the plants that I carried in my garden center (over 2000 perennials) and could only use two letters to describe each of 4 characteristics I would need to locate those specific needs (flower color yellow, bloom July, height over 1’, for example). I was using an 8086 with 1 WHOLE megabyte of RAM.

2 Likes

I see it on my phone most glaringly and I am completely lost with phone technology. I had several weeks go by, then someone texted me, “You ok, your phone gives me dead air?” Phone store just shrugs.
Other gadgets don’t have MS or Mac, so I am relatively light on the bloat there, for now.

Can you program phones?..asking for a friend.

1 Like

It’s a little bit scary, we now have devices that cost almost nothing to produce which have more processing power than the hardware that by all accounts took us to the moon. I am reminded of that quote from Jurassic Park which I will paraphrase. “Just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should.” 5G, 6G, 7G? Is anyone really in such a rush that they need to download a 4K resolution movie file to their phone in under 60 seconds? Cant see the use case myself but call me old fashioned.

1 Like