Last week I had to replace the 10 year old electric cooking range in the kitchen due to an electrical issue, luckily no fire, just lots of smoke. Home Depot was having their annual Labor Day appliance sale so I ventured out to purchase a new range. After getting over sticker shock, (the price was triple what I paid for a range 10 years ago) I found an UnSmart one with out air fry or convection in the oven and not connectable to the internet. Just a regular ole range with a self-cleaning feature for the oven with five burners; four for cooking, one for keeping food warm. Since they no longer provide a printed hard copy owners manual, I went on General Electric’s website to review the manual. Unbeknownst to me and no feature on the range indicating the feature is a “Sabbath Setting” for the oven. It is activated by pressing and holding certain features that reveals the additional feature! Immediately I thought that must be for “certain religions”. How and why in the heck was that feature added in an almost clandestine way, yet not advertised?
… because (((they))) control everything … down to the settings on your appliances. That includes ovens, dishwashers, refrigerators and lamps.
The GE range I bought more than 20 years ago had this feature. Edit: It was described in the manual as well, not hidden.
… amazing how long we have not been in control of our own country. In 2006 (((they))) comprised roughly 2 % of the USAIPAC population. For what % of the general population who were purchasing appliances was that “feature” a “need”? I doubt many appliance sales were lost prior to appliances having that “feature”. Suely prior to that appliance “feature” (((they))) could afford a Shabbos Goy to come by and activate the necessary electrical circuits.
I worked for GE Appliances for 41 years. I made ranges for 23 of those. The Sabbath feature has been around, as stated above, for over 20 years. It was a marketed feature when introduced on the on the Speed Cook Oven, introduced in 2003, that had a microwave assist in the oven cavity. Alton Brown had one of these ovens on his “Good Eats” Show. He mentioned this feature on his show if my memory doesn’t fail me. So, it was not hidden at the time. This feature pretty much made its way into other models as the years have gone by.
I’ve never heard of feature. New to me. I’ve had an electric range with programmable start and stop oven baking. Perhaps that was included…
I suppose with the Sunday family dinner tradition the feature’s name Sabbath, makes sense. My new range has “Warm” feature for keeping the oven at 170 degrees. When turning on the oven the temp starts at 350. My old range started at 350 degrees and required pushing a negative sign to decrease to 170…Same, but different…
People did it for free. Since forever, orthodox, conservative and Hasidic Jews don’t turn on electricity or light a stove on Friday nights based on rabbinical interpretation of bible. Phones, computers, lights etc…. It’s akin to kindling a fire.
I think Hasidic communities in NYC don’t give their kids smart phones or unlimited access to internet either. Not a terrible idea.
The Amish on the other hand use the New Testament to justify never plugging into the grid.
It’s all good. To each his own.
But i think the moral of the story is everyone can justify anything based on the interpretation of one book. The interpretations that do not harm are fine.
Good thing new arrivals to the planet have tradition and an owners manual to assist in their adaptation.
I need a basic users manual for basic navigation on planet earth.
I just remembered when I was out that car services and taxis are a thing of the past in some areas. I never ordered a uber and couldn’t figure out the app. I see people order food online. Never did that either. We are already a semi cashless society and I’ve not kept up and I don’t do crypto.
I knew Jewish people don’t light stoves on Friday nights and Saturday. I had no idea that they created a technology to accommodate it.
I’m with you on “keeping up and using new technology options”. Where I live a private automobile is about the only means to sustain obtaining the necessities of staying alive.
which is exactly why the new cars being built seem to forbid:
repairs
privacy
user autonomy
It’s all biometric, cameras, screens, batteries, locked in parts that no one can service.
My wife got a new suv to go to work everyday. They changed those too. I didn’t know how to start it. No more sticking keys in the ignition huh? Plus all cars look the same. Mercedes look like Suburus.
Maybe I’d fit in with the Amish. All the potatoes and noodles would kill me. But they have nice produce in their markets
Yes the wife and I have made the same sad joke multiple times, about all new cars looking identical.
If it’s a smaller one, it’s a ‘bubble car’ , I named them.
Yknow, that ubiquitous cross that is everywhere now, that is a mix between a hatchback, a sedan, and an SUV yet not quite any one of those?
All the bubble cars regardless of brand look alike. Are designers being given rules to follow, and all the same angles must be used?
Very bizarre.