"ODDYSEUS" LANDS ON THE MOON... BUT...

Originally published at: "ODDYSEUS" LANDS ON THE MOON... BUT...

(…and yes, I intended the “misspelling”, but to find out why, keep reading…) This story was spotted by T.M., and it’s rather timely for our purposes as I just finished doing an interview on Mr. Richard C. Hoagland’s podcast The Other Side of Midnight just this past weekend. One of the topics of discussion was the…

8 Likes

“Odyssey” was used in the Apollo 13 mission as the name of the command module. The Apollo 13 mission was to explore the Fra Mauro area of the Moon. Ring any Venetian Bells? Just an interesting “coincidence” I’m sure.

The Mars orbiter was also given the name “Odyssey”.

3 Likes

Oddly enough I am going to be a chaperone this week on my sons school field trip to Kennedy Space Center in Florida. I would like to formally invite Dr Farrell and or Dark Journalist to accompany us on the bus. I would enjoy watching them as NASA personnel hard questions and making them squirm over the absurd lies they tell the world…:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: can you just imagine…

3 Likes

Talking about archeological wars and Musk. This article showed up on my internet home page several days ago. Looks like everybody is going East or Moon and Mars, but Mr. Musk decided to give a chance to ancient Rome again.
He has been mingling with Meloni and pope awfully a lot lately.

Elon Musk says he’ll help fund AI tech to decrypt 2000-year-old Roman scrolls | Euronews

2 Likes

That’s right! Thanks for the reminder!

Loved the interview!
Great information; including the why & how.
Hoagland can’t be wrong; somewhat tricky - to get around, if your of another mind.

Joseph, I’m forwarding what I mentioned, I’ve spaced invaded here for peace of mind in knowing you know I Tip my Hat to the guidelines, I’ve done it this 1 time due to me being new, in future I will go through the channel specific for this very reason, I know you appreciate the gesture and that’s good enough for me …griff

It is starting to make sense.
“ So with all of the corporations involved in the scramble to get into space, one may be looking at the end of a monolithic narrative, to be sure.”

Force the disclosure of the existing secret technology to boost the commercialization of space by diversifying capability.

I would hope that the consumer benefits would be greater than space communications and surveillance. Escape the cave of the cyclops.

1 Like

… if one never escapes Plato’s Cave there will be no encounter of any monster, one or more eyed . The Republic, Book 7.
https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0168%3Abook%3D7&force=y

2 Likes

The universe/galaxies are in the shape of a spirals; which is symbolic - in too many ways to Sunday.
For example, Is Plato’s cave, a cave within a cave, itself?
Is the eye of the beholder, maybe further out[or in] - than meets the Plato’s implied viewpoint?
How can any intelligence assume it’s viewpoint[s], are supreme?
Is GOD above such nonsense? Since, any position - is a fault line, within a fault?
What concept]s] I’m striving for then, cannot be expressed in words;
Though, it can only be expressed outside the cave -
by lines intuited, from within lines, inside the cave.

1 Like

… happened to pick up I.F. Stone’s The Trial of Socrates recently. In this book he reminds us of a couple of interesting things about old Oddy.

First, Stone reminds us that in the second book of the “Iliad.” The siege of Troy has been going on for nine years. The homesick and weary troops, just recently devastated by a plague, make a mutinous rush for the ships, determined to set sail for home. Odysseus, the man of many wiles, intervenes to stem the panic.

Second, Stone tells us that Homer describes how Odysseus spoke “with gentle words” to the chieftains and aristocrats, while he tells us in lines 198 to 202 how differently he dealt with the common soldiers. When the angry hero encountered “a man of the people,” Odysseus “struck him with his staff,” calling him “a worthless fellow” and ordering him to turn back from the ships.

As we all wonder about the name symbolism employed on such objects (as Lunar Landers, et al.) it occurred to me as I read Stone that the “characteristics” we think are being referred to may not in fact be those actually intended by the use of the name. Just a thought. :slight_smile:

References
I.F. Stone - The Trial of Socrates and an interview of Stone titled I.F. Stone Breaks the Socrates Story (This interview was originally published in The New York Times Magazine, April 8, 1979.)

1 Like

Intriguing possibilities come to mind from that excursus… maybe something contemptuous, perhaps, towards “the deplorables” was intended?

1 Like

… it certainly made me think along those lines, most especially the “stemming the panic” reference.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was thinking as well… certainly a speculation worth entertaining along with all the others. Time will tell though in this instance I strongly suspect you are over the target.

2 Likes

Considering the RT article above with respect to Heinlein’s book " The Moon is a Harsh Mistress " raised some interesting thoughts .What kind of people would be selected or banished to the moon and what kind of society would develop ? In Heinlein’s book the lunar residents were either volunteers or were sent to the Moon as punishment for a range of “subversive” activities.
Heinlein also described how if the “Loonies” lived too long on the moon they could no longer physiologically deal with a return to earth’s gravity. He also identified challenges and speculated on systems for transporting cargo as well as lunar agricultural systems. Ultimately a conflict arises between Luna and Terra .

I found Borisov’s comment below on cargo transport particularly interesting.

We are working on a space tugboat,” he said. “This huge, cyclopean structure that would be able – thanks to a nuclear reactor and high-powered turbines – to transport large cargoes from one orbit to another, collect space debris and engage in many other applications.”

3 Likes

Socrates didn’t trust the new technology, over the old technology.
He much preferred oral communication over written communication.
Did he even write; or, did he simply refuse to?
A practice what you preach, teacher?

From my perspective; he knew the “new” technology could bulldoze ideologies across time a space.
The “old” technology involved several interactive lines of communication.
No IP controls. [internet provider]

1 Like

Yes!
I found that book quite incisive in looking into a future Moon society.
Great title, and in the language of “loonies”; quite perceptive.

I recently just finished an updated, modern day version of, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress:
The Eighth Continent trilogy, “You’ll be sharing our glorified lifestyle, calorie deprivation, radiation exposure, pulmonary issues, hay fever from moon dust, everyone works, rash & blisters from callus weary spacesuits. And you’ll loose weight! Plus bone density!”.
Really puts you on the Moon, with all the new info, incorporated into the storylines.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, I will keep on the lookout for that book

1 Like

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress pdf link …

Enjoy!

4 Likes

My favorite Heinlein novel by far and one of my all-time fave sci-fi novels.

3 Likes