Officials looking into bizarre behaviour by fish in Florida Keys

3 Likes

My bet is on Wi-Fi or similar frequencies, possibly through underwater cables or wind turbines.

@sunnyboy Thanks for reminding me of SONAR! In the Keyes, near Cuba. You don’t think there could be any underwater military activity do you?

4 Likes

The 2 types of events shown in the video, beaching and spinning may have different causes. Spinning and spiraling in fish is usually connected to neurological damage thus they are checking water samples for toxins which could be produced by a small percentage of algae species (e.g. red tides) . Beaching has been observed in numerous places around the world for several years including Florida. Its very saddening that these events are happening.

The following is information on beaching from from the Fish & Wildlife Foundation of Florida.

Some scientists believe sonar signals and other man-made loud underwater noises may contribute to beaching events. Low and mid-frequency active sonar is used by militaries to detect submarines, and for other acoustic exercises. These frequencies do not affect all species but can be deadly for some. Low sonar can cause hemorrhaging in animals exposed to the sonar, and others will beach themselves to escape the sound. Mid-frequency sonar most affects Cuvier’s beaked whales, causing decompression sickness, leading to tissue damage from gas bubble lesions. This sickness could happen because the sonar causes the whales to panic and surface too quickly to escape. Mass beaching’s of beaked whales almost exclusively occur alongside sonar testing.

4 Likes

Gaud … what’s next?

Beaching has been an issue for a while, but the spinning is bizarre.

I wonder what the ‘climate change’ pushers have in store for us.

1 Like