Social media as an info source

In the vidchat of July 19, 2024, I made a comment criticizing what I see as a tendency to rely too much on social media posts when we analyze current events.

Just for the record: I was not trying to say we should never look at social media posts. Nor was my comment in any way directed at the writing of @vardas3 – quite the contrary.

My main point was that we need to be extra careful these days not to assume that something posted on social media is factual unless it can be corroborated by some other, reliable source.

My secondary point was to caution against relying on one’s own social media feed as one’s main (or only) source of news. After all, what shows up on your social media feed is determined – and manipulated – by some totally opaque algorithm that’s filtering what you’re being shown. Too often, that makes people into passive recipients of manipulated information.

7 Likes

Agree, would expand that more but then people think it odd and unpopular.

1 Like

Why would people on this site find that odd? Thourough reseach is done broad and the smallest part is the internet. Sadly yes, younsters think because it is intertwined with AI the internet has become omnicient pure truth!

The problem is that many are addicted to AI/Cellphone/Media. If you try to interact outside their convenience level they resist and get real nervous. The cell media must be next to them and often consulted during any conversation or topic.

It is all more than a bit scary for those trying not to be mind controlled, monitored, tracked…

4 Likes

3 Likes