THAT TEXAS GOLD-BACKED DIGITAL CURRENCY BILL IS A STEP BACKWARDS

I choose to believe there are good rich people. But I think I know what Bahri means - rich people in a town can exert their will, whether it’s for the benefit of all or not. Poor people can’t & don’t.

In earlier times, rich people gave to the community without assuring benefit to themselves - I am indebted to John Ruskin for his belief that people with less than himself deserved beauty & knowledge (art museums, etc.) Now most of what I see is like Bill Gates - calculated to benefit themselves.

4 Likes

Probably more accurate to say rich people or a rich person has the potential to be more of a problem for others than does someone with little resources. Obviously this really depends on a lot of other factors besides coins.

Gentrification - Wikipedia.

Historians say that gentrification took place in ancient Rome and in Roman Britain, where large villas were replacing small shops by the 3rd century, AD.[7] The word gentrification derives from gentry—which comes from the Old French word genterise, “of gentle birth” (14th century) and “people of gentle birth” (16th century). In England, landed gentry denoted the social class, consisting of gentlemen (and gentlewomen, as they were at that time known).[8] British sociologist Ruth Glass was first to use “gentrification” in its current sense. She used it in 1964 to describe the influx of middle-class people displacing lower-class worker residents in urban neighborhoods; her example was London, and its working-class districts such as Islington:[9]

One by one, many of the working class neighbourhoods of London have been invaded by the middle-classes—upper and lower. Shabby, modest mews and cottages—two rooms up and two down—have been taken over, when their leases have expired, and have become elegant, expensive residences … Once this process of ‘gentrification’ starts in a district it goes on rapidly, until all or most of the original working-class occupiers are displaced and the whole social character of the district is changed.

Lol not trying to quote Marx, not saying wealth is neccesarily bad or good just mean in town problems generally speaking there are clear easy solutions for some problems but more difficult ones like the government being taken over by lobbyists are more difficult to deal with than others.

Interesting that you think the lobbyists are the wealthy ones…

I think your point is that when people like Chuck 3, or Klaus, Nazi Jr., Kissinger (at least when he was APPARENTLY alive) along with their fraternity of psychopaths, run the world AND when your local “wannabe” tries to perform in the same circle, then we have a big problem. It isn’t so much the wealth as it is the attitude toward the rest of us.

3 Likes

Ok I’m no expert about this field, sounds like you know what you’re talking about maybe I don’t.

Attitude towards other people is key, as opposed to us vs. them as in rich folks who don’t want poor folks in their town it can be the same with poor folks not wanting rich folks to take over.

Lobbyists may not always be in the definition of “wealthy,” whatever your definition of that is, but I would think they are generally in the demographic of people who have some money which is a completely different demographic than that of people who have literally no money.

With refugees or immigrants with no resources or ID, they may be willing to give service in work for improving towns, whereas wealthy folks think they are the ones giving service by just writing checks for other people to work for money. And they often won’t even do that, which means no work is happening and towns will deteriorate.

I admit that the NIMBY people are the worst (Not In My BackYard) because they are frequently the rich people who don’t want the affordable housing anywhere near them. If that is to whom you are referring, I agee.

What we have now, in Central TX, is a version of Arizona where older people from California have come here to “retire” (aka become the grouchy guy next door telling the kids to get off his lawn) when we are out here in the boonies. My friend, who runs the local garden center (I commiserate with her because THANK GOD I sold my organic GC business years ago) who was telling me about them. We used to have these retired doctor twins in upstate NY who would go through my herb selection EVERY SPRING tasting everything. Good luck selling a 4" pot with half the leaves ripped off the plant!

I apologize for dragging this thread completely off topic.

Yeah those folks, good we agree. No problem about going off topic. Was going to ask about if want to talk more about what you mean by not going out on a twig metaphor?