The Silence by Manchester Orchestra

What did you think about that piece, @Bahri ?
Do you think there is an appeal of that music genre to people?

Yesterday, we went for some errands, and every place into which we set foot, piped similar, what we perceived to be dull, monotonous stuff, droning minor chords, on synthetic digital instruments, with off-key voices, thumping drums, and the employees in those places looked distressed. I asked the employee at the bank how she felt about having to listen to that stuff and she said she had no choice, the stuff is forced on them. People just seemed so depressed everywhere, and with that unhappy and also aggressive stuff (with the thumping drums), it seems to affect peoples’ moods.

It would be interesting if anyone likes that stuff, and what the appeal is. It’s almost as if we’re “tuned” to certain resonances, and I don’t seem to be tuned to that particular resonance for some reason.

I definitely can’t relate to that statement. So many times I ask people how do you like that kind of music? I just don’t get it. I guess we are all tuned differently to different frequencies. To each it’s own but some “music” can immediately put me in a fowl mood.

Now the grocery store I go to has a great sound system and plays 70’s easy listening/classic rock and I catch myself singing and even doing a little dance here and there as I push my cart.

This is the song of a tragedy, singing to express sadness is a way for people to recover from those.

This is sad that people tolerate music they would prefer to not listen to being played at their own workplace, can’t understand why anyone would ever do that.

1 Like

did you mean to say can’t, or can?

Music is important but silence can be a lot more important than sound.

Hi @Bahri I meant to say Can Can Can relate. Thanks!

1 Like

Here is some more sad music:

Point taken @Bahri – people do express deep sadness and a sense of futility through music.

But we’re having to listen to one aggressive or depressing song, one after another, in the places we go: bank, insurance company, grocer, thrift store, restaurant, clothing store, lumber store, etc. Even on the sidewalk, we pass the construction companies, and they’re piping out the same depressing stuff. And then, everyone walking around unhealthy and unhappy to the background of that depressing stuff.

I asked the lady at the bank could she get that stuff turned off, and she said no, that it is being forced on them. We could barely carry on a conversation, it was so distracting, and depressing. It took us a while to recover from our outing when we returned home, due to that depressing music all over the place ( a lot of it on the theme of suicide). Canada now has a legal suicide shot that many people have been taking. It’s like the theme of suicide is being pushed at us from all sides, and I do wonder whether music is being used as a kind of an emotional assault weapon to bring our vibrations to their lowest points.

Now, when I listen to this piece by CPE Bach, played on acoustic instruments, it takes me to a higher plane, within the first bar, the first few seconds. C.P.E. Bach Concerto for 2 Harpsichords in F major, Wq 46 - YouTube
Very different place from where I get taken by “The Silence” (to which I could not listen beyond the first few bars, as off-key voices grate on my ears, as well as synthetic instruments)

Dr. Farrell’s book “Microcosm and Medium” got us thinking more than we had in the past about the subtle ways in which music affects us on many different levels.

2 Likes

You’re lucky @Sal2lee that your grocer doesn’t play that awful stuff that assaults our ears everywhere we go here in Victoria. It’s like they want all of us to take the suicide injection (Medically Assisted Induced Death) they’ve rolled out recently in Canada.

1 Like

Victoria sounds like a bad town, I recommend you get out of there as soon as possible.

There’s only one bank left in my town, they have a little radio that plays music there but this doesn’t bother me much with only tiny speakers. Can ask the bankers if they would have to face consequences from their bosses for shutting that down, I don’t know what they could do besides stop paying payroll to employees who did that.

The frequency of the instruments can be unhealthy depending on how they are tuned.