To pray the right way

He’s walking right now.

Well put.
I also believe that motivation is the foundation for prayer, (and life), plus humility, surrender, and a willingness to accept the outcome, whatever it may be.
Simply put - leave ego at the door and “be careful what you wish for”.

3 Likes

IF it is a proper request, not only should you wish for it, you should ASK for it!
You will receive guidance regarding your request and if it’s granted, God MUST get all Glory.

The Book of James gives very good information on this subject, esp. chapter 4. IMO, the most practical, useful Letter in The Bible. Short, sweet and filled with great insight!

2 Likes

Rats!.. the Lord’s prayer would seem to be a “scripted prayer” and hence a vain repetition. Boy have a LOT of us gotten THAT wrong for 2023 years!

4 Likes

@vardas3
I would love to hear more. Please explain?

That makes two more of us, Joseph. :pray:

I’m not a theological scholar. So I wonder if it’s possible that not all repetition is vain.

1 Like

There can be vain repetitions, and non- vain repetitions. The “pray with your heart spontaneous” prayer fostered by so many evangelicals is itself often a vain repetition, full of empty formulae (like, “…we just want to…”) and at best a usually “binitarian” doxology ending them, and these in turn can promote some very bad attitudes, like the idea that all “scripted prayers” are vain repetitions.

2 Likes

Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy. Again and again in peace let us pray to the Lord …

1 Like

Precisely…liturgical prayers are the prayers OF THE CHURCH, not an individual setting himself up as the appointed Prayer Meister of the Day, ad-libbing all over the place (and usually aimlessly and poorly, and without any reverence). In short, liturgical prayer IS the Spirit-guided prayer of the Church.

2 Likes

I was thinking more of prescribed prayers for certain Feast Days etc. Certainly NOT the Lord’s prayer.

1 Like

Those, too, are Spirit-led prayers of His Body.

What about the Rosary?

1 Like

Is not the repetition of liturgical prayers, without any second thought, any intention, also unacceptable? It gets very drab and seems to mean little after a while.

@undine Great question!

1 Like

Indeed, sometimes the best answer is NO. Even well meaning prayers can be amiss.

2 Likes

There are many rosaries across cultures which can lead to vanities of repetitions and errors in mind and heart. For me, your question rests on the doctrine of Holy Mary and the mindful and full hearted prayer that emerges from the illumined will. This will seeks the unitive wedding of the Holy Spirit love, within the body and soul of Holy Mary, to the Sacred Heart of Our Lord. It is a love story, where empty hearted love is not possible, nor empty minded words. When you love this way, there is no vanity. When you do not, there is only vanity. More later, Undine. Always a pleasure.

@undine
How will you know if the prayer(s) amiss unless there’s correction?

:arrow_up:There is nothing one can say to you/whatever you are, because the question remains for you to wrestle. This is the fellowship of the mystery. God conceals and reveals to whom He wills. And excluding a brother from us is not acceptable.

I agree, thank you.
I believe humble and faithful prayer is aimed at God - the Highest. But, it doesn’t guarantee a preferred outcome.
There may be reasons for “unanswered” prayers – growth, the need for more awareness etc.
Being mostly ignorant re: Biblical dogma, I do know that His laws are finite. The evil ones probably “pray” to someone or something, and may want to think they’re doing good, but are they starting from a good place? Motivation…
Just my 2 cents worth…

1 Like

IMO, Motivation and self- awareness. See my response to @undine.

1 Like