Today, the FCC voted in favor of President Biden’s plan for “digital equity.”

Today, the FCC voted in favor of President Biden’s plan for “digital equity.” I dissented because the plan amounts to an unlawful power grab that gives the government a roving mandate to micromanage nearly every aspect of how the Internet functions.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-398477A3.pdf…

DOC-398477A3.pdf (fcc.gov)

2 Likes

‘They’ are using 1a to come for all the rest. Don’t ‘they’ just love to play with words?
equity: noun
eq·​ui·​ty ˈe-kwə-tē
plural: equities
1a: justice according to natural law or right specifically: freedom from bias or favoritism
b: something that is equitable
2a: the money value of a property or of an interest in a property in excess of claims or liens against it
b: the common stock of a corporation
c: a risk interest or ownership right in property
d: a right, claim, or interest existing or valid in equity

2 Likes

I’d submit that “equity” is usually being used today in the following sense, in order to come for all the rest:

The notion of being fair and impartial as an individual engages with an organization or system, particularly systems of grievance. “Equity” is often conflated with the term “Equality” (meaning sameness). In fact, true equity implies that an individual may need to experience or receive something different (not equal) in order to maintain fairness and access. For example, a person with a wheelchair may need differential access to an elevator relative to someone else.

(Source: “Equity,” Our Social Justice Definitions | About Us | Diversity, Equity and Inclusion | Brandeis University ; emphasis added.)

However, as far as this new FCC policy, “equity” is going to mean whatever the FCC decides it means . . . In practice, it will eventually mean “speech by political dissidents on the internet.”

2 Likes

I guess they’re preparing for the 2024 election early . . . Does anybody out there doubt this is going to be used to censor speech on the internet?

“That internet post contains mis-/mal-/disinformation that disproportionately impacts [whomever]. Therefore, it must be taken down. If you fail to comply, we’ll slap you with a fine big enough to put you out of business.”

Addendum: They’re also prepping for a clampdown on the internet during the next “pandemic” or “emergency.”

1 Like

This aligns perfectly with AB 873, just approved by Gov Newsom (Post #18086) for grooming fine K-12 digital citizens in California:

SECTION 1. (a) The Legislature finds and declares all of the following…

(6) The proliferation of online misinformation has posed risks to international peace, interfered with democratic decision making, and threatened public health.

1 Like

Yes . . . it’s right out there in the open, in the language of AB 873. Out of curiosity, I checked which terms are defined in the bill. The definition of “digital citizenship” itself is so broad you could drive a truck through it:

“Digital citizenship” means a diverse set of skills related to current technology and social media, including the norms of appropriate, responsible, and healthy behavior.

So the state gets to determine what constitutes “responsible” and “healthy” behavior as it relates to information technology. No problem there!

And since we’ve already seen racism (itself undefined) declared a public health emergency by nutty politicians, we can assume literally anything could be declared a “threat to public health.” And what’s to stop them from declaring certain speech a threat to some internet users’ mental health? The possibilities are endless.

2 Likes

Is anyone else starting to at least contemplate moving forward sans the internet if it becomes necessary to reject a digital ID required for its use ? You don’t realize how dependent you are on something until you get rid of it.

1 Like

There’s a fort in Utah and the people who are the docents for this historical treasure are dressed in hand-made clothing of the period. They shared the oral history with me as though they were still in the 1880’s — thee’s, thou’s – you get the picture. The skills it took to build this way-station for travellers and the Pony Express, (telegraph station, included), a safe zone from warring tribes and the elements, were amazing. They built it from volcanic rock! I was invited to go into each room by myself. What would I do here? I could cook, here’s the kitchen. Here’s the tiny school room; I could teach beginning music and art to the children and tell Bible stories. I would definitely want the skills to be in the telegraph room, which communicated vital news for survival. The family stewards established good relations with the local Pavant Ute and Navajos at the time, so I would like to be a peacemaker, or on the prayer team. I was so taken with my historian couple – they were ageless, in love, married forever. They spoke as one; they lived right on the premises, suspended in time! They explained to me that it is their life calling to share this history orally with anyone seeking who comes through their gates. At the time, I did not specifically think of your question at all – because I turn into a ten-year-old when I travel and tour – but come to think of it, hmmm. On top of that, the very miracle was --of necessity and for safe survival of travellers – on inspiration from on High – the entire fort was built with human hands using holy and dedicated provisions, in a single month!

@uintatom I’ve thought of that . . . and I have no idea how I’d get by. I suppose necessity would be the mother of invention, but it’s a scary thought. A possible glimmer of hope is that there are lots of tech-savvy hacker types out there who might come up with some kind of workaround.

2 Likes

Well, I’ll say this much; despite heavy pressure at work to get the vax, I stood my ground, kept my job AND got a promotion. Make of that what you will.

2 Likes