When did the simulation begin?

For anyone interested in rabbit holes and extreme high octane speculation…

1 Like

Nothing new under the sun … Simulation Theory is Solipsism rewritten for “The Digital Age”.
Simulation Theory could also be understood as a unique attempt to provide a new “Origin Story”. Hmmm … Origin stories … now where have I heard that phrase lately? …
but lets discuss …
… doesn’t it begin the moment one believes they are living in a simulation? and also … Doesn’t this bring about an odd kind of infinite regress problem? … and also … If one accepts that we (or is it only “I” who is living in “The Simulation” created just for ME?) are living in a simulation doesn’t this raise quite a number of moral and ethical questions? … and also … What an interesting spin this might put on the “Other Minds Problem”. Just curious …
Well then, lets have some fun shall we …

5.61 Logic fills the world: the limits of the world are also its limits. We cannot therefore say in logic: This and this there is inthe world, that there is not.
For that would apparently presuppose that we exclude cer-tain possibilities, and this cannot be the case since otherwise logic must get outside the limits of the world: that is, if it could consider these limits from the other side also.What we cannot think, that we cannot think: we cannot therefore say what we cannot think.

from Ludwig Wittgenstein’s Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus (translated by C. K. Ogden), London: Kegan Paul, Trench, Trubner & Co., Ltd., New York: Harcourt, Brace & Company, Inc., 1922.

SOLIPSISTS OF THE WORLD UNITE! … Oh wait, they can’t … or can they?