Ahriman's Dimension has arrived - Reporter tests Apple's new Vision Pro goggles

2 Likes

very interesting article. kind of terrifying. what will this bring?

very terrifying isn’t it? and yet with such banal delivery. It’s like getting a few lines of telegraph indicating a behemoth is about to swallow the Earth.

In a healthy, functioning society, the appearance of this technology could be a boon for the most part, and handled adroitly, a blessing. In the current state of affairs - that dinosaur he describes is Pollyanna compared to what can and will be unleashed on the fragile mental health of who knows how many dissociated souls- billions? It will take awhile, maybe a decade if we are lucky, but it’s here. Stop.

2 Likes

oh, no. many of will get killed, and by the way, the price of this will plunge. mark my word. not to speak of the coming Chinese copycats.

I guess these things will find use in industrial and technical applications first. The last datacentre I worked in, well built, the infrastructure manufacturer and supplier (Schneider in this case, but other manufacturers are similar) supplied the BMS system (building management system), a software that is used to control physical and logical switches to monitor and maintain environmental and security components and devices - heat, pressure, electrical saturation of power bus, door access and so on.

A lot of discussion went into the metadata framework system. That’s a mouthful for a copy of all physical devices into a software simulacrum. Basically, the engineering drawings are copied into the building management system and the monitoring and control devices are also installed into the software. The problem that was not overcome, and therefore held up the deployment, was how to access the metadata from a user perspective. The “vision” was that a particular wearable device, like a pair of glasses, would, based on the workers role, allow to be shown various infrastructure systems as they move about the facility.

Imagine a complex building where environmental control is important; say, a chemicals plant. Certain people have particular roles in the facility and are responsible for particular jobs there. Each is given a set of eyeglasses, or face-shield, goggles, whatever. The electricians see all the hidden electrical switches in the room, the broken light switch is highlighted in red. They can move directly to the broken device and replace it without referring to a drawing, because its blinking red. They can walk to the blinking device and tap their heels to get a readout of what is wrong, when it went wrong and what the current status is. Work can be done to fix it, and it will turn green, feeding its “fixed” status back to the Building Management System automatically. Same deal for the mechanical engineers… the humidity is up by three degrees because the air pressure on that air conditioner is off by 12% flow pressure owing to dirty baffles. He might go to the attic space and move directly to air-con 13 of 24 without delay to resolve the problem.

Those are the benign industry applications. Other applications are restrictive. Personnel will only be able to get through certain doors because their biometric is not part of a particular hierarchy, and therefore, no unlock icon hovers over particular doors, for example. People may be completely unaware of the existence of some portals, depending on their role. Obviously, access to data follows from physical access restrictions. Electrician A may not be allowed to see the metadata that Supervisor Electrician B is shown, and so on.

There are obvious and not so obvious security applications. If you think about it for a minute, and have a cursory knowledge of architectural design principals, you will be aware a lot of space is taken up by signage and lighting. Imagine dead-dark buildings where you need a set of building-aware goggles to even find your way to the front door, let alone, where to go once inside. Or a wall panel that displays different details to whoever looks at it. Secretive corporations will have a field day with this stuff. I haven’t even touched on the military and espionage applications, but I am sure you can figure out the likely applications.

This is a tool that has been in development for a long time. Its a little creepy, I think precisely because it is an application that has the greater potential to manipulate the user so effectively. It blurs the lines between interface and reality very effectively, and leaves you wondering if the interface or the user is actually the tool.

4 Likes

@dogsbreth
Thank you dogsbreth. This was very insightfull. Can you just imagine a technological marvel in front your eyes that, depending on your status, screens reality for you and decides what you can and or cannot see!

Sadly, I think this gismo will be widely successful.

1 Like

I appreciate your experience and the sharing of it, and it does offer insight. but really the implications are far greater than just what industrial applications would suggest.

You are in effect giving up control and your free will to whatever controls the goggles and whatever input is allowed into those goggles. So if you are to be “blind” then blind you will be. If you are to see a propaganda narrative, then that’s what you’ll see. If you are to see things changed to reflect whatever the controller decides for their own purposes that’s what the “reality” setting is supposed to show, that’s it.

You’ve in effect become a puppet as soon as you’ve given over cognitive control of what reality is to whatever is allowed to appear on your reality screen.

3 Likes

These systems have been around forever. Do you have a bank book or a library card? They do the same thing. Not trying to wind you up, but everyone already signed up to hierarchical access and control simply be being born a primate.

This is the “augmented reality” that was advertised in a pair of glasses. You don’t have to wear them, just like you don’t have to use social media. You wont get the benefits, or the detriments, either.

The big step here is in personally defined/sculpted information narratives if they become necessary to simply function in a high tech environment. Two people standing next to each other may be in completely different informational environments. Imagine a crowd where half of the people suddenly get a flash prompt where they are told the guys in Blue Goggles are suddenly the enemy and you have to defend yourself immediately… I bet the bad old anonymous hackers will get the blame :slight_smile:

1 Like

the moment u use this device, is the moment u give up real perception contrary what the machine feds to u. flying high up in the sky, forgetting and departing from the ground.
i am pretty sure, that these trinkets have a backdoor, or several, just as every intel-chipset and every graphic card. in the hardware. so they may project whatever ‘reality’ they want upon u.
it’s still a chess-game. if u r not able to count a minimum of a few steps, or u think u have any freedom inside the board: u r stuck. already two different sets of reality. the moment u sit down to play, u r tied to a win/lose scenario. a dichotomy of existence in blackened white with 50 shades of grey. u r bound to the outcomes. already lost autonomy if u have to play by these ‘unimaginable possibilities’. this is 8th sphere i think. outsourcing our spiritual and mental capabilities to a machine. Frankenstein V 8.0.

2 Likes

We wouldn’t have internal combustion engines unless someone invented dynamite. I get the reservations, but personally, I wouldn’t go all chicken little just because Apple Inc. has embarked on one of their clever marketing campaigns.

You don’t use an iPhone, do you? :slight_smile:

yes, i do use an iphone. i just got one (a few months ago) for almost free due to my company’s contract, since i pay 6 ‘lines’. quite new, model 13. i use it for phoning, sms, solitaire and sudoku, when i am tired of reading or want a distraction. and thats all folks.
my daughter (19) already wanted to exchange it for her own… otherwise i put it in fly-mode.
ur example does not fit this story, sorry to say that. i am not immersed in the phone.
this headgear, on the contrary, makes you fully saturated on seeing and hearing. i do not know if u have children around playing on their devices plugged with earphones. it is already a tragedy. and i do not want to make a drama out of it, because it is already one. they r addicted. this one will not just bring addiction to a new level, but will exponentiate it. and i am not against tech, but just really know where it goes. think of the annunakis with their tablets of destiny.
all the same story ‘money’-power-candy. sweeter and sweeter 'till ur teeth r handled by someone else in a necklace. it is just too much for an untrained mind, not to speak of diluted and impoverished ones, which does not have a clear mode of conduct and self-preservation and bound to be lost in the depth of the ‘marvelous contents we provide!’. like giving an AK-47 to a monkey, but now with remote control and no accountability. even before u could explore ur own capabilities, u’ll be lost to the machine’s, and u’ll never know what is a ‘clear and pure sensoral perception’. losing ur own fire (plasma-formation of the senses) to the machine. slavery. but of course, it’s great fun! :sunglasses:

Well, the price is right :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what your objection is. People who allow their kids to grow up with a screen in their face will plonk a VR headset on them too. This is another option for folks with no discernment, sure.

However, plenty of people use tools for exactly the purpose they are intended. The tool isn’t the problem here, it’s the injudicious use of them I think you object to.

For my money, I don’t care about the great unwashed and their peculiar decisions, and I don’t intend to wring my hands about the misuse of another technology that might blow someones fingers off, metaphorically speaking. I don’t promote the tech, I’m just pointing out that it will be used in various industries and will be a benefit to them; indeed, it’s being used already and is based on age-old systems-based approaches to task management.

The commercial applications will do what they do, just like the social media did, and while I doubt much good will come of it, lots of money will. So it will happen, and you might as well get used to people walking into walls or traffic and that being put down to a glitch in the matrix.

oh, no, i mean yes, for sure. but u r being cynical on this. read the Daring Fireball’s article. they will not walk into walls or traffic. please read through, they already blocked that possibility with the design. and its great.
u see, after several decades i found myself in the position of ‘advocatus diaboli’. i always try to balance the pros and the cons.
BUT, and it is a big butt. when even the ‘gods’ fell into the problem with their subjugating and charming technology of the deepest pits of hunger and desperation for control, then what will the humans do?
since, if u take just a moment to think through: all these technologies r meant to ‘controll’ the flow, the conditions, to manage (as u’ve already stated… …managing is one of our greatest desires, or putting it more expressively: to controll everything which comes by) the ‘things’ we accumulate as our tasks and times, it will inevitably lead to this platform where we r able to handle it at once. since it is all-encompassing and easily utilized, since all capabilities and connections r managed by the system.
do u have children? r u able to withdraw them from the present world? all of them wants these trinkets and none (almost none, million to one) is able to still their desires, and surely do not want to do it.
i feel that u do not see the danger of it. and it is not about that ‘who will see, they’ll see, and all the others should go to being a living carcass’, since u have seeing and compassion.
i think it is about the soup we eat. nobody will make soup Bro, or clean the house. they will let the machine to do it. and more so, they will command the machine to do so. since they all see through the ‘eye’. sooner or later, they’ll have their own dumping managed by the machine so they r able to stay in.
have u read Phillip K. Richard or William Gibson on these possibilities?

Yeah, I read all of the cyberpunk stuff. Came and went pretty quickly as a fad, as I recall. I liked Gibson, Neuromancer and all that. But the ultimate nihilism shone through clearly, and I think he went off the topic as soon as he got the point. Didnt read PK Richard, watched the movies enough to get the point.

And to answer your questions, yes I have kids, no they were not given phones to diddle on until their minds went to mush. That’s not to brag, but I preferred they read a book and that’s what they did. They got phones when they were 15 and I advised them about social media and to stay off it, but they are individuals who have their own lives. I don’t dwell on it, I hope their education on such matters from me (such as it was) will help them navigate through the mines successfully.

I see the dangers, sure. I grew up on a ranch, you get accustomed to it and a healthy respect for your limitations and exits. But that is my experience. I grew up in a world where people thought chocolate milk comes from brown cows. People think farming cattle is pleasant canters across rolling hills of grass and all the cows moo “hello” every morning, and magically, steaks land a;ready packaged in the supermarket. It’s not that, it’s fire and steel, dust and blood and horns that pierce your side and fighting banks and agents and poisoners and people who want your land for their purposes. I was haughty about my knowledge, until I realised people live different lives and learn different lessons. So, now I live my (family) life, and leave others to theirs. I don’t concern myself with their decisions. People will be people, and if they want to partake of a particular soporific, who am I to dissuade them? They can enjoy the experience and suffer whatever consequences come of their actions. This is why there are no poor farmers. They might have “money problems”, but there are farmers, and there are people who live in town.

So, while I think I understand your concerns, ultimately, individuals need to make their own decisions on how to use this new innovation and navigate the world accordingly. Not all will succeed, noting the many car crashes that take place, where some are unfortunate, some preventable. But we don’t give up the car for that few, and we wont give up the potential benefits of this technology either. That’s how it is.

agreed. period.

i grew upon a farm. with work.

just tried to point out the picture of those who did/do not had that. for us, it’s, almost, easy. for them, almost inconceivable.

… Yes, we shouldn’t forget that there is such a thing as “Analog” augmented reality (manipulated reality I guess we should say, it is the technology, along with the speed, of the manipulations that are changing). Maybe our friend Jean-Jacques Rousseau and Social Contract Theory need another look given the effects AR is sure to have on the nature of information and the meanings of behavior (particularly non-verbal).

And can we please just use the perfectly good word EVIL and work on pruning the unnecessary baggage it has accumulated over the eons instead of a World View of Ahriman and leave the use of dimension to geometers and other mathematicians.

As I wrote in a previous post … Maybe one should stop wasting valuable time, effort, and energy on the “interesting stories” of the “childish things” of Zurvanism (think Ahriman and the Eighth Sphere) and work on, as Monty Python would say, “something completely different”.

For a deep meditation of the subject of EVIL see Henry James Sr.'s “Substance and Shadow” (available gratis on archive.org)

3 Likes

Sure. Well, I can anyway. I don’t even know who or what Ahriman is and I certainly didn’t refer to it/xim/xer, and zurvanism could be a nasty infection in a delicate place for all I know.

I am not on board with everything Rudolph Steiner says but his views on Ahrman spring to mind with the hideous and infectious claws this beastly device looks like possessing. It’s frightening how addicted people are to their phones and utterly depressing. I am idealising that a great cultural pushback will take place and the written word in physical form and please God even handwritten letters and notes will return. Otherwise it will be “ the eighth sphere” for most.

i do not know what kind of ‘iron’ (PC, machine, etc…) u have at home, but take a look at the official Apple pictures made of/from the device, and it IS all-encompassing and magnetic, just from those.
i’ll be back late about written letters. have to get ready for vidchat.
hugs

1 Like

Random musings:
An user would certainly be a tool if they sit in their couch and manipulate their kitchen to make and deliver popcorn to them without having to get up.
Wasn’t there a Bruce Willis film about this?
Also, the movie “Sneakers” comes to mind…
If the interface is AI, then the user is simply the UI or UnIntelligent drone party.