… "Existential Fight For Survival": MSFT May Nuke Green Data Center Climate Pledge<!-- --> | ZeroHedge
The only “Green” aspect of the data center binge is the amount of $$$ bills finding their way out of the BigTech companies’ CapEx budgets and into the pockets of the real estate professionals, building contractors, electricians, HVAC technicians and diverse other trades that combine to construct the physical footprint of the data centers. My understanding is that some of the projects have begun the actual buildout…without yet having concrete commitments from a power utility to energize the structure (!!!).
What’s stalling data center projects?
I see a distinct lack of precise planning and vision on the part of corporate management teams that would embark on such projects without first securing the necessary electrical supply to power the servers in the facilities.
Using the UBER model…
BREAK THE LAWS… BTLs
(Cost Of Doing Business model = BTLs)
… more than likely the builders of such places are moving toward doing these build outs as “Black Projects”. You can imagine the level of whining they have done to the PTB. It is a safe bet that deals are quietly being made to allow the building out of the data centers away from the prying eyes of public scrutiny. A question you might ask next time you have the opportunity to speak with your so-called “representative(s)” at a town hall or even a meet and greet with a potential “candidate” …
Have you, in the past at any time, currently or will you in the future, or any member of your family, anyone on your staff, anyone in any type of employ with you, your family or staff, been made aware of the building of any data center in the US and its territories? Have you directly in person or indirectly through any kind of proxy (individual or group that is either paid or unpaid) engaged in any kind or type of activity (immediately compensated or with the promise of deferred compensation) directly or indirectly related to any aspect of the planning (e.g access to land, water, or any other necessary [e.g. building materials] or required resources), building and running of any kind or type of data center either above ground, underground (or a combination of the two), below or on the water (think AUTEC) or some combination, or at any level of Earth orbit? Please feel free to tighten up the wording of the question before use.
If they are being built as “Black Projects” there should be local signs of impending or ongoing building.
Patently obvious now that the special children of technocracy Datacentres and AI are postioned in opposition to humanity. The resources competition between people and the “Stakeholders” is reaching frsctious levels hence the mass immigration wedge.
… there should be signs of activity … whether it is a Black or a White Program. These Data Centers MUST BE SHUTDOWN … Choice always easier than Necessity.
Sure sounds like CRIMINAL activity to me based on the article. But don’t worry your pretty little head … no one will be charged, no one will be indicted, no one will go to jail.
More than, “A Little Shop Of Horrors”, has moved into Fayetteville, Georgia.
Not hungry, but…
EXTREMELY THIRSTY!
Is it an Alien Monster and/or Alien Intelligence?
Or, just an innocent AI Data center?
One MUST pay their share of the Totalitarian Digital Gulag Prison - being built around them.
DON’t.
AND, you’ll remain somewhat free.
PAY-UP, and become a DIGITIZED TOKEN SLAVE!
Pay-2-Slave!
… this is the study referred to above
I found this 2024 article from the American Society of Civil Engineers regarding data center water requirements and design considerations quite informative. It doesn’t solve anything, but does provide many technical details regarding the water piece.
Engineers often need a lot of water to keep data centers cool | ASCE
I have a question.
If I were Mr. Global, I would have figured out a way of cooling those things without water, mostly because either the water will run out OR someone will blow the tap up to smithereens.
What am I missing?
Its cold in space apparently
Data Centers may, in fact, not be using all that water. Many/most of them MAY never even be fully operational. Ostensibly, they’re using the water to cool GPUs. GPUs that (in known form) don’t exist in sufficient number. What if there are many and various clandestine uses for these Data Centers, or have they leapfrogged GPU tech all together? They might be using these things for something else in addition to the bubble grift. Both/And
If they are capturing the water for some other purpose…one thing is certain…WE won’t have it…
“Watch their every move…Superconductors, superconductors”…
I am confused. Was all that water destroyed somehow and never able to be used again? I would assume its all used for cooling so therefore after it does its job it becomes what it was in the first place correct?
Me, I think all this anti-data center noise is just a really good psyop from China and whoever else wants to slow down the Amurica.
… Yes, the water for data centers is treated with a number of chemicals and once treated for DC use is not fit for human consumption. Even if it is claimed that the water can be “cleaned” at this point are you willing to “trust the science”? That has worked out so well for us before. Would you drink the water in Flint, MI even after they claim the lead problem has been “solved”? Trust the science? I don’t think so. Discharging the treated DC water will also pollute the ground water. Bye, bye large underground aquifers. Bye, bye agriculture. Bye, bye water for cattle.
… “If they are capturing the water for some other purpose…one thing is certain…WE won’t have it.”
… and another thing is certain … we will never see it again.
I am not sure this is a correct problem. I think it is playing on an idea that a thing such as water is finite. I mean I suppose it is on a galactic scale, but its not like water stops being water if it is used for cooling. I want to see some facts on this issue, not hyperbole.
Unfortunately, no and the reasons vary. There is more to this than water in and water out.
I recommend reading the link I posted above, as it describes many variables associated with server cooling; e.g., water sources (municipal, well, treated wastewater, etc.), method of heat exchanging as well as effluent (waste) water discharging.
Industrial pumps and piping systems are finicky things; they corrode and bad things grow in the nooks and crannies. The municipal water process adds chlorides and other compounds and well water can contain iron, a host of minerals and biological stuff.
The common way to mitigate those things are filtration and chemical additives. Even if stainless steel ($$$) is used throughout the server cooling system, it will still require some degree of treatment. Which means what comes out is not what came in. And according to the author of the article, the water goes to wastewater treatment plant.
I worked 10 years in semiconductor test equipment manufacturing and nearly 20 in pharmaceutical manufacturing and have direct experience working with the water-cooling of energized, heat-producing electronics (chip testers) and with facility purified water generation and waste-water treatment systems (pharma).
None of that makes me an expert on data center water issues by any means; however, I do have insight to those processes and can corroborate what the engineer in the article is explaining.
The cooling water coming out of the data centers isn’t necessarily toxic, but it isn’t useable as source water of other purposes, either. With the breakneck, or should I say, reckless, pace at which these data centers are going in, I believe designers will opt for the cheapest, fastest and most expedient method for “disposal” the effluent wastewater.