Dealing with loss of a loved animal

I had a pet turtle once but he did not like being in captivity was always trying to escape, one day he did and I never saw him again.

Local pet store has a giant tortoise that they let roam outside some but seems like he goes back to the store on his own for dinner usually.

3 Likes

This is located in Los Angeles, south of the Palisades, there should be other similar places were you live.
We have two pugs and a chug in our family.

https://www.pugnationla.org/home/

1 Like

Thank you blue for the idea but I think I’m just going to wait a bit and see what happens.

1 Like

I agree the grief process for a beloved animal companion is hard. My first and only cat passed in 2020, at nearly 19 years old. She had alternately lived with me and a friend/housemate of mine who was technically her original “owner.” She was rescued from a shelter as a kitten that someone had adopted but, for reasons I’ll never understand, brought back. She was missing a hind leg, which I couldn’t see when she poked her nose through the cage door and meowed at me as I walked by her cage at the shelter. They thought she was probably born that way, but she could run like lightning and lived a completely normal life, only not being able to jump as high as most cats. When they took her out of the cage, that was it, leg or no leg – she’d chosen me and vice versa.

At one point, when I moved from the States to the UK for a few years (where her original owner was, by then, living), I went through the long, complicated process of bringing her into the UK. I ended up back in the States, but she spent the rest of her days with my friend in England.

When she passed, I hadn’t seen her in several years. That was hard and still is. I felt terrible for my friend, and for not being able to see her in her last few years. And all this was going on at the height of the scamdemic craziness, with me in the U.S. and him in England. I felt I had to do something, so I looked around online and came upon the Old Blue Cross Pet Cemetery in London, near Greenwich. (The photos on their current website don’t do it justice.) It’s a small “park,” typical of the enclosed little green spaces you find dotted around London, with an interesting history. It’s no longer an animal cemetery, but they have a wall in the park where people can place memorial plaques for deceased pets. Thanks to the kindness and efforts of the chairwoman of The Friends of the Pet Cemetery, an association that looks after the park, I was able to arrange for a memorial plaque to be placed for our cat.

So grief, yes. But also gratitude for the immense love and joy she brought to two people’s lives.

6 Likes

This is a really interesting discussion on some of the commonly reported aspects of dying. The final goodbye was something I experienced with Wushka.

2 Likes

Oh, this reminds me so bad…I had a dog that got run over by a firetruck of all things.
He lost his back leg and the vet said there was just no chance.
Today I see lots of dogs on wheels, but i asked one of those owners and she said its pretty lately they’ve made those operations work.
I was afraid there was a way he could have made it.
Anyways, I prayed for that dog so often,and thought/think of him constantly.
Then one day i was visiting an old friend, we went to the local store, he lived quite remote.
I decided to wait outside the store and while I was waiting I saw this little dog on the other side of the house, so I thought Id just walk over for a quick hello.
The dog looked at me, then smelled me a litlle and suddenly he went all crazy.
Tail like an airlines engine, squeeking and peeping and voofs and boofs.
Ran around like crazy and I was just perplexed by the whole situation.
My friend came out and didn’t understand what was going on.
Then the dog’s owner came out, he understood even less.
He tried to just walk with the dog on a leash, but the dog was not having it at all.
He then picked the dog up and started carrying it away,and still the dog was trying to get out his arms with paws all over the place and still generous with the voofs and boofs.
And then i put the feeling i had felt for the last minute or two into thought…" Is that…Is that…can it be…Thats Lotus ! ( my old dog’s name).
And to this day I just know that was him.
I often think about this, what i could have done, should have done.
If he mad at me for not reunite.
I could have tried to “buy” him or explain the situation at least.
The dog’s owner seemed very bothered by it all though and he walked away very grumpy.
i think we were all a little shocked by the whole scene.
But what I mean to say is I really think prayers comes through.
I just don’t hope he didn’t make the return for that meeting and I let him down.
But i couldn’t just kidnap him either. Im not a dog kidnapper.
I tell my adopted love shes the most amazing dog Ive ever met…together with Lotus, and that they should have met, they would have made an extremely nice couple.
Im sorry it got so long:) Thats dog love…
So keep praying for your gone dogs and, other pets of course, they just might feel you.
all love
Joaquin

3 Likes

You are saying you believe this was the reincarnation of your dog?

This was interesting in recent vid-chat talk about alternative theory to reincarnation being resonance in identity to past being or something like that.

My perspective is that people and beings who are alive today can channel spirit of the departed, and this does call into question how an identity is defined if one is channeling a consciousness for a great deal of time, where is the line between an actor impersonating ceaser, to literally being ceaser?

I know it sounds baluba crazy, but I cannot explain that scene any other way.
Its one of those situations where all other explanations makes no sense and that one explanation makes all the sense in the world, if you come to terms with the reincarnation thing first,
Im no firm believer in reincarnation actually.
I guess its possible i was just handed a sign he was doing OK wherever hes at, and that it was more an answer to my prayers.
It sure was something,cause I aint never seen no dog act up like that before…

1 Like

I try to keep an open mind about possibilities of transference between the living and the dead although that gets me into trouble with certain religious interpretations of spiritism. How can we know? I guess one of the most interesting aspects of considering the sun as Plato suggested is that no matter how much you think you know it all gets blown away by the magnificence of just staring at the sun and contemplating what that means. I choose appreciation of the wonder of creation over the cold materialist car crash that is the standard model. Maybe love is a kind of metaphysical construct that survives physical death and can be felt as an echo in other souls. I am out on a twig here so apologies if sounds like word salad!

3 Likes

Not too twiggy for me to consider.

2 Likes

dealing with the birth/loss of a loved animal, just to stay on topic
this friend of mine departed after 15 years, last December. Called Csendes, which means Silent.
hell of a dog. everyday he escaped at least 2-3x. made his tour de forces, burrowing around the town, then came home, and just waited to be let in. He - definitely a he - had a girlfriend here and possible there, and almost never on a leash… now he is most possibly roaming elsewhere on a higher ground, since even the dogs get to Heaven, or are capable of to be in it. he comes to my mind every day since he is gone.
last march i wrote about him like this in the Messengers who changed the world topic

https://forum.gizadeathstar.com/t/messengers-who-changed-the-world/3490/35:

kalamona

DrAliciaHill

Mar '22

thanx for re-member-meant-to-light-Silent… :wink:
i was never a photo guy, have to admit, but i put up a pic before its over.
blessings

p.s.: let it be

aware as ever in the past 14 years and 9 months. so we r right about his 15th circle round the sun. real spacetime traveller guard/ratkiller-dog, who has a heart of gold and always comes to comfort if somethings not right. giving and receiving love. he is a good teacher of independence also. half a lapdog (hawaiian bolognese mother) half a burrowing german watchdog … (schnauzer) :wink:
not the best pic. sorry
so, to speak of birth too, not just loss, the following is possibly delightful to everyone:

today this arrived on a thread.

Perfect family picture!

8 Likes

Little angels, Sweetiepies!

i mean, just look at the face of the father. those eyes are harder then 2 nukes in 1. 220% committment.

2 Likes

I had to say good by to my dog Pluto Sunday June 11. She is the dog pictured in my icon.
She was chasing the other dog around the backyard and died from cardiac arrest. Took me by total surprise. I rescued her in October 2015. She was 25 pounds underweight and pregnant with four puppies I didn’t know about until her veterinary checkup. Nursed her back to health and found good homes for all four puppies. image|375x500

8 Likes

@kalamona
He knows his job…protection!

1 Like

@Bill10558 sorry for your loss. He looks like a very nice dog. It’s so hard especially when it’s sudden and unexpected.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear about Pluto, Bill.

1 Like

Prayers for Pluto and Pluto’s puppies.

2 Likes

She looks so proud, like ; “Aren’t they cute?”
He looks proud too, like ; " I did that!" :joy: :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

R.I.P.!
she ran over the fence of here to there…
i’d like to have another one since ours passed, but my lover still couldn’t let him go.

2 Likes