Forum open for rest of world to read?

Is it intentional? just wondering, previous forum was closed , you had to sign in.

2 Likes

Related question: How long has it been open to the world?

1 Like

You are correct FiatLux. I could see everything in this forum just by clicking the Forum button from the Home page and I was not logged in. Hopefully this will be corrected soon.

1 Like

Makes one wonder if “anyone” can read everything. If so, WTF? … and if so … INTENTIONAL?
Just sayin’ … or just incompetence?

1 Like

It is rather unnerving. I have to fill out information to post, etc. Have to wonder if that info is secure, relatively speaking?

… and while we are thinking about this situation a question: Can others “see” how many times a post has been edited? This information is certainly not necessary for the reader or the writer. Seems like more “salable” data gathering to me.

Conspiracy Theory … What if the “alleged” and “possibly accidental” openness of the site is for er… ah… those who might wish to monitor sites like Giza without those pesky little legal interferences in order to identify “potential” enemies of the state.

We should try to get in contact with Lou … I’m sure that he was simultaneously running a monitoring program of sites like Giza while he was running ATTIP.

2 Likes

Precisely… Not that putting a forum behind a login or paywall is much of an obstacle to certain parties. But having it totally open makes it even more vulnerable. Documentation on the forum implies you need to use your giza login to access it, so I’m assuming it’s not intentional.

1 Like

Yes i can, and seriously lets be frank now, this whole forum engine design
CLEARLY have the “social profiling” and meta/data collecting shape to it.
It’s very obvious, if you “behave correctly” you get a badge, can lock,
flag, ban, mute, if you do this and that you get rewards, can super this
super that access, etc, etc,etc. And i really wonder about the “FB data link”
someone pointed out previously. My “ding” “ding” ding" went off at an
instant when i read that!

6 Likes

Yes, sadly it appears that Giza has been co-opted into the data acquisition for profit mode. And also appears to be, as you said, a training center for the acceptance of the CCP Social Credit System. Dr. Farrell … any thoughts or comments?

4 Likes

Hope Dr. closes this forum to the public, PLEASE!

u r possibly right. its another karmic windmill to ‘fight’ with.

Never mind data acquisition(I am just kidding, I do mind) the new forum is simply to visually busy. Why concentrate on “chachkas” since most of us are here for exchange of info and learning.

2 Likes

… and it (the site) appears almost intentionally confusing, not intuitive in any sense.

3 Likes

You’re right, it i very confusing. The vidchat chat service (tlk.io) was also open to the world but nobody seemed to notice, I also hope this forum will be for members only like the previous one, now defunct, was.

Dr Farrells old forum was notorious for starting up a barrage of “js service workers scripts”
they are very high risk entry points for all sorts of evil doings and they are cumbersome
to get rid off depending on browser etc.

… interesting isn’t it, that to this point, with as many comments that have been made about such issues the only sound to be heard is crickets. Has anyone received any private communications on these issues? Just curious …

1 Like

Ah, yeah the Crickets the crickets! GizaDev seams occupied explaining in the giza lounge thread on
how you should behave to get the various CCP social scoring levels 0,1,2 and 3 to get access to the special “privileged” Giza lounge and some dessert dry mRNA snacks and a can of sugar free Pepsi !
Oh, i just received the “link” badge…im no3 on that, oh my!..So no , only the crickets plays at my place.

3 Likes

Just my two cents, but I know from being involved in these types of changes is a heck of a lot of work, and it is not all achieved in one day. The major implementation is only half the work, the rest of it is bedding in the system and ironing out bugs and incompatibilities and instabilities. There has been a pretty clear instructional set given on the usage and options, to my mind. This is a big upgrade to the last system, and the last post by GizaDev does explain a lot of the thinking going into the reasoning behind the current setup. There is a balancing act being made between marketing concerns to grow the population of the audience along with modernising the look, feel and function of the site.

I should think the opensource methodology should be welcomed by this community, given that “feeding the beast” is something we all should be trying to minimise. Some slack has to be given to the devs as they ramp up into the new technology which is likely self hosted, with new operating systems and new platform software as well. Like all tools, you need to use them in anger before you really get their measure and limitations.

In my experience, most of the work that goes into an upgrade of this nature is underappreciated because it is entirely hidden. It’s all well and good to pick out bits you don’t like, that’s in the nature of the user experience. If you want to make suggestions to improve the functionality or look and feel, use the well trodden path of making suggestions to the GizaDev and open up a conversation that way. Daniel clearly has a vision for the site, and if it does not match your expectations, please let him know and give the poor bloke a chance to justify himself and his decisions before assuming he’s out to get you and your data.

I don’t work for the site, so I’m not defending these decisions, but you should know this form is part of a commercial business and is expecting to grow its user base. Some compromises will have to be made along the development journey, and constructive feedback is likely to be welcomed. For one, I am in favour of the old “lets do a poll and gauge feedback” method to fish for ideas. However it turns out, the extraordinary implementation of the private members-only area announced this afternoon shows some effort is being put to the desire for a closed forum area. That is a positive step, in my view, and shows good faith is being applied.

3 Likes

Keep in mind that not only is the site but the developer too is under going changes not encountered or anticipated before committing to the upgrade. Integrating, understanding and utilizing the positive technological advances developed since the site was first launched would seem like opening Pandora’s box. One knows not what to expect and we need to give time and space for the development of both the site and the developer. Forget the modern “l want it now.”
We’d like that, but it ain’t so…

1 Like

Long winded explanations and attempts to smooth out bumps is nothing new.
Here is what an old lawyer once told me: The longer your explanation, the severe is your crime.

So therefore keep you explanation as short as possible and in bold text, for instance all that Gizadev need to say are: -We made our decisions from a business perspective.- Thats it! No more is needed
to be said because Dr Farrell can take whatever insane or sane decisions he want based on that.
Whether or not it will play out for him his his problem. But again, the point as the thread title hints
and thread are about is “the forum software” are “social profiling/scoring”, evidentially so.

1 Like