Has the Forum become a Cesspool?

Damn you cought us, i admit.
We are a secret cult of toxic male pigs who have planted our underlings all over the Web.

Our plan for a Right wing Maga takeover are now crushed thanks to those damn snowflakes and their hypersensitive butts that always hurt.

Disclaimer: This is actually sarcasm, anyone offended should probably just stop using internet forever.

@Soupcommie What have you done to the old Soupcommie?

Im still the same, but i have different modes of operating.
I enjoy discussing serious topics just as much as trolling and pooposting.

All my real life friends know that i have a rowdy sense of humour.
People who dont know me usually think im quite rude or an ahole.

But i live in a country where most peoples skin is so thin that im suprised their organs dont fall right out.

Its all in good spirits though, i dont mean any harm.
Boys will be boys and we are just bustin people to help them get used to it.

Being easily offended can really hurt someone in their life.
Becauce it will be used by people who actually want to harm you as a form of manipulation.

If someone can be easily destabilised by words then they can be controlled with very little effort…

Doesnt mean you should accept someone trying to bully you.
But showing you are upset is literally the worst thing one can do.
Ignoring or better yet laughing yourself is a far more effective way to neutralise the comment.

2 Likes

I find it very hard to respect comments of people who sound pompous and long winded. I usually avoid the boring diatribes. Mostly I appreciate and admire the comments of the members of the website.
I will admit that some comments are triggering which is an opportunity to pause and laugh. At myself in particular.

For example the comments of scarymob quoting Fowles:

Disposing of ugly girls.

I have not experienced being an ugly girl, but the type of mindset which reacts to human beings in this manner, is the Lowest form of discourse. It is at the top of my list for repulsive behaviors. Still I would not call the forum a cesspool. When I encounter the offensive mind I focus on what disturbed me and move on. One can learn about people by their comments and Reactions.

3 Likes

I applaud that list of characteristics of “Scientific Intelligence” and the suggestion to bone up on logical fallacies.

I’d add another point about self-moderation: A little courtesy goes a long way. It’s not about assuming responsibility for anybody else’s feelings. It’s just a show of mutual respect that can help keep a discussion from degenerating into something else.

A rough analogy might be an engine that needs grease to keep running. The metal parts and fuel do the heavy lifting (analytical thinking, clear expression, pertinent commentary), but without grease (courtesy) the engine seizes up and stops working as it should.

4 Likes

I think you’re getting this lovely forum confused with Swampington - and really NO comparison! Now that is a cesspool!

2 Likes

Yes. I would have loved to have been able to ask questions and discuss things outside vidchats on a forum like this while I was reading Dr Farrell’s books (beginning in 2007).

Still a good idea; and good advertising for Dr Farrell’s books.

2 Likes

I would certainly not call this forum a cesspool, but it can be a problem if some members are overwhelming latest topics with ten random new topics every day that is way more than anyone can talk about in a day.

Opportunity for freedom of speech is important but sometimes filters are good too.

3 Likes

:coffee::coffee:Good morning, B . . . It’s so nice for me to hear from people who have been quiet for years, who are now finding their voices here – or rediscovering them – and being welcomed in… refreshing and fun! Listening and acknowledging one another is a community building skill, imo.

2 Likes

Can you really hear voices talk when you’re reading text?

Yes, the messenger’s voice is yours inside your head when reading text.

2 Likes

… I thought everyone heard those voices. After all, if you don’t hear the voices then your lips move when you read. :slight_smile:

1 Like

English is confusing how people write about non-spoken written letters. Have about given up on that language, French and Italian are way better.

1 Like

You do just fine, B. You listen for intention with your heart . . .:wink:

Oh I’m fine, England is the problem!

Here a song from my friend Andrea:

2 Likes

Lovely. … btw I can follow French and Italian fairly well, and function in the markets and on the streets…I speak Spanish fluently because of my Father. I was raised in a bilingual home so I have been navigating between linguistic worlds since the Crib. . .and you?

1 Like

Only studied Spanish in grade school some Italian at university. Been listening to a lot of French music recentley this is way more peaceful to listen to because I don’t know what they are singing about. Although can guess based on music video this one is dramatic!:

2 Likes

Why can’t people figure out the forum person in question is simply a troll planted here to disrupt? Why take anyone who acts like that at face value?

2 Likes

Why would a troll impersonate a beaver??

1 Like

Only a few of us original folks who posted to the Forum are still with us today. A few of us will remember SpiritSplice’s contentiousness and general all-around unsavory posts, but he voluntarily left after a couple of years because we stopped interacting with him. So just keep your posts interesting and positive, and you will be fine.

4 Likes