Honest question: do AI's understand sarcasm

After a little bit of thought this idea came to me - “Do A.I.'s understand sarcasm?” What do you think?

2 Likes

No.
But, I extremely prejudice against AI.
However; “they” probably have their own version of sarcasm, not ours,
as it is only understood by them. Remember, not only do “they” have their own language and logic; humans can’t begin to decipher it. A known, unknown.
Is AI’s “progress” becoming inversely proportional,
to humanity’s presence on Earth?
Those who are left will be in ever-tightening algorithmic prisons;
in a games of musical - one’s and zeroes - chairs.

And as that musical chair song goes…
“When will they ever learn…
Where have all the flowers gone?”

3 Likes

Intra modality incongruity? Gimme an airbag :wink:

4 Likes

My objective is to develop an understanding of the progress being made in AI because of its implications for our future. According to the “Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Information Engineering, both in Beijing”, China appears to have a keen interest in detecting sarcasm in social media.

2 Likes

Ok, let’s say they can detect sarcasm well. What about slang? Slang is often mixed with sarcasm and slang changes. Wonder what learning program it has; or, does it have just the Chinese idea of what sarcasm contains?

1 Like

Hi nidster --There are a lot of articles on this. Do you want more? xo

1 Like

Good point! They are probably also working on that.

Bring it on! More information is the foundation of understanding the issues we are being confronted with these days.

Ok, I’ll email some pdf’s.

1 Like

So if an AI ‘watched’ the movie Spinal Tap it would give you a two word review, Sexist Sandwich

3 Likes

Yeah, lots of info to look at, and will do that. Then discovered this video report linked below. It is long, and though at first blush it seems like a good thing… one of the Usual Suspects, Elon Musk is behind a Twitter project that appears to be… Well you decide.

While Everyone Is Talking About Twitter, Musk Released the Most Disruptive Technology Ever Created | Truth Over News (*theepochtimes.com)

By definition; media[at least mainstream] is pure sarcasm - of truth.

1 Like

@ShadowNet
Been smiling about that one for over an hour now. Nice!

1 Like

The Biden administration will fund grants to develop an AI model that can automatically detect and suppress microaggressions on social media:

2 Likes

Soon we’ll be eating cereal, fortified w/AI…

The social media network was founded, not to united us; but to distract us.
To consume as much of your time, conscious attention - as possible.

To change your behavior.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks to all who contributed so far. I started this Thread by asking if sarcasm could be understood by an AI. Many good responses were made, and it appears some of the most recent AI’s have become ‘aware’ of detecting it. So, the answer to the question is a qualified ‘Yes’, and if anyone has more evidence, please continue to post it here.

These last post 2 posts are also very enlightening, and could be distilled to say, ‘Social Media’ is meant to divide us, consume our time in trivial things, keep folks divided, and manipulate the behavior of good folks by using weapons of mass manipulation and misinformation.’

I have another question about AI’s coming up later and will post it on a new Thread.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Loved the Tik Tok interview!
Sadly, Nicolas Chaillan is probably spot-on in most; if not all, his remarks.

2 Likes

Hi Nidster – In compiling more questions for your AI B.S. Compendium :wink:, don’t forget to include personal carbon surveillance technology:

2 Likes