If you have drastic problems with the Windows operating system platform, then Linux

Linux people, Linux but you will have to relearn or redo some things again, for those who have a problem with Windows platform.And if you want to see, that is, to become aware of some things and processes on the Internet and on your personal computer that you were not previously aware existed or were taking place.And of course things are simple. But only if you have the will and desire to learn.
1.for beginners I recommend Ubuntu Linux

https://ubuntu.com/download

2.and of course for an advanced user I recommend Debian Linux

https://www.debian.org

Your choice.That is if you want your computer/machine to be yours and only yours again.

5 Likes

I swore never to buy a Microsoft system computer since 2001.

3 Likes

Bravo!..and 20 minus letters. :wink:

I went Apple and still hate that I must have spent over 2000 hours learning how to backroom Microsoft only to give up and go to something that represents… well, Apple. I tried Linux but, like I said, so many years programing POS software and other database systems in Microsoft, I just lost interest and had to get up out of my computer chair.

2 Likes

It’s a pity that you gave up on Linux. The original. After all, both Android and Apple iOS or MacOS operating systems are based on Linux kernels.
But Linux is Linux. There is no better operating system, no replacement for it.I apologize for intruding on your conversation.

3 Likes

@Divergent I have been wanting to get into Linux since I have Apple devices but windows pc. I really am at wit’s end with both. Thanks for posting. I may yet give it a whirl!

1 Like

I hardly disagree. If I had been younger and still in the Adirondacks when the winters are simply for learning “stuff” - -40F outside means your learning curve broadens respectably even if you have frozen water buckets to thaw or trees on your phone line to disengage. There are simply periods of not going anywhere, no television (ever, thankfully) and only wifi if you have figured out how to get it (my town eventually provided fiber optics to every home for the children to “connect”). Instead, I was massaging microsoft platforms to get them to work once the temperatures got above 0.

I just didn’t have the tech assistance to even think Linux when I could have been free of all this BLEEP. When i moved to Texas, I tried Linux but just didn’t have the steam left to start over.

Glad to hear you encouraging others to retrace the steps and get real.

On edit. I really don’t have a great excuse since my brother was a programmer and I started out on punch cards.

2 Likes

Check out Book - Above Phone
just ordered one. hopefully I can figure it out. LOTS of info about how to use on their website.

they have a phone also that ostensibly cannot be tracked
https://abovephone.com/#shop
as with everything these days… Who Knows!!!

2 Likes

Good idea… I had a separate system setup with Linux years ago, it’s a learning process but worth the effort to have a computer setup without Microsoft software. I have an travel laptop that I may experiment on…

Also, what helps my system is that I only use a plug-in network cable and disconnect when I’m finished. I don’t use wireless with my printers and I only install updates discriminatingly.

2 Likes

Smart, like CAF suggesting typewriters are the safest way to go.

Wish I had the time for that. One of the fence builders snapped the telephone line that ran a mile through the ranch so I never did get my landline fixed. Everything here is pretty much remote even though we aren’t that far from major cities. I probably print two reams of paper a week so wireless to either an inkjet or a laser is imperative. Laptop is practically glued to my fingertips and I feel I have become a slave to Apple.

Should have gone Linux. But then, I probably should have… fill in the blanks.
(You realize the possibilities when you get past retirement age.)

4 Likes

Not fond of linux, I need a techie next to me to operate. Did buy a pro privacy laptop with fedora on it, just in case. One thing the Dutch are good at is support and manuals. Did learn to use and configure their privacy phone. Fingers crossed.

Linux is good for servers do you run those?

Have started to learn that for site servers just use Ubuntu now not sure what is better about Debian?

1 Like

Well it’s something like this.
But learning is difficult and that is why so many people use Windows.

1 Like

Linux can run off external hard drive also windows can’t do that.

With linux servers those aren’t that difficult to run but only have access to command line not desktop with mouse and windows.

Have a microsoft surface is alright runs windows 10 can’t run 11.

1 Like

I don’t recognize all those logos. The other options for servers with DigitalOcean are Fedora, CentOS, AlmaLinux, and Rocky Linux, do you know anything about those?

Can run basic discourse site on 1 GB server but is more stable with 2 GB which costs about $15/month, then there are other options for more expensive servers:

It would be great to hear about your experience with above phone as I am about to buy one too

Any of you heard of the PinePhone? Very nice project and getting to a point where it is actually pretty usable.

Not so much about opsec but sticking two fingers up at the rest of the smartphone industry.

I bought the computer (Above Book) and have not yet set it up, but the people at Above phone are SUPER helpful and they have lots of instructions and tips for the technically challenged - such as myself.
I will let you know how it goes

1 Like