Movie date night

She: How will I know you?
He: I’m easy to recognize. . . I look like a large un-made bed with a shopping bag attached.

1 Like

Los Angeles columnist Steve Lopez (Robert Downey Jr.) has reached an impasse in his life. His marriage is on the rocks, and he’s disillusioned with his job. Then, while wandering through L.A.'s Skid Row, he spots a homeless man (Jamie Foxx) playing a two-stringed violin with a virtuoso’s skill. Lopez initially thinks of the man,

1 Like

Bhagavad Gita

A disillusioned war veteran, Captain Rannulph Junuh, reluctantly agrees to play a game of golf. He finds the game futile until his caddie, Bagger Vance, teaches him the secret of the authentic golf stroke which turns out also to be the secret to mastering any challenge and finding meaning in life

1 Like

With thanks to uintatom. :popcorn:

I’m going to break the movie rule and post a British TV series.

If you’ve never seen this it’s only 6 episodes with an hour long special to finish the series. It’s far superior to most movies churned out by Hollywood and well worth the time.

3 Likes

“C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America” is a comedy mockumentary which answers the question “What if the Confederacy had won the American civil war?”

2 Likes

Here’s a belated Halloween film. It’s a comic drama about a gravedigger who just can’t seem to keep all the corpses underground. (This is Not suitable for children and some of the corpses are nude). It’s Italian title is Dellamorte Dellamore:

From “Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical” -

Mary Lane:
“Next week, president Roosevelt
is coming to town.”
Jimmy:
“Wow! You know, my pop says
He’s a Labor-appeasing,
Supreme-Court-packing bolshevik.”

If you haven’t already seen the 1936 original “Reefer Madness” (original title “Tell Your Children”), you will laugh much harder if you do. Both are available to watch for free.

1 Like

As a sucker for Samurai culture and movies i really enjoyed this semi fantasy tale.
Watched the anime as a teenager but the new movies were also very good imo.
Covers the western influence on Japan and the birth of the opium gangs etc.
Not close to a historic correct story.
But has some very good spirutual messages etc.

In 1868, after the end of the Bakumatsu war, the former assassin Kenshin Himura promises to defend those in need without killing. Kenshin wanders through Japan with a reverse-edged sword during the transition of the samurai age to the New Age. When Kenshin helps the idealistic Kaoru Kamiya from the gangsters of the powerful opium drug lord Kanryuu Takeda that wants her school for his production of opium, Kaoru invites Kenshin to stay in the school. But the drug chemist Megumi Takani escapes from Kanryuu and seeks shelter in the school. Meanwhile the killer Battosai is murdering police officers and leaving messages attached to their bodies. When Kanryuu poisons the population to get the school, Kenshin and the street fighter Sanosuke Sagara join forces to attack their common enemy.

1 Like

So the nude thing is bad, but the corpses are all fine? :dizzy_face: :joy:

Most in The US have seen this film but others might not have. Jeff Bridges won his first, very well deserved Oscar for this film with a wonderful performance as an ‘odd’ Texas Ranger, modeled after TR Joaquin Jackson. The theme song in the 2nd link briefly renewed the short career of Townes Van Zandt (Van Zandt County, TX) in modern times, although he’s been gone for decades. Fantastic cast, lots of action, humor and you might wish you’d thought of their scheme first! Rent it when you’re able.

… Ok, here are a few …

The November Man - based on a Bill (William) Granger novel. His other works are interesting reading as well. His novel “Hemingway’s Notebook” is also part of the November Man series.

The President’s Analyst - 1967. - What if JFK had a shrink? One of the best lines in the movie …
James Coburn’s (the president’s analyst) girlfriend Joan Delaney (Avengers wannabe) asks him
“Anxieties, are they catching?” . Great movie. Pay special attention to the scenes with Pat Harrington (Arlington Hewes) … they are 50 years ahead of their time.

The Magus - Ok, I guess. A bad adaptation of the novel. In this case read the book and make the film in your head as you read.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - 2004 - when watching this think in terms of what it might mean if one had a non-material “method(s)” of reorganizing (re-bonding or non-temporal re-logicizing) of the bundle of relations that we refer to as “the self”.

Enjoy!

1 Like

:popcorn:

An old Ginger Rogers Hollywood Fluff:
Lucky Partners (1940)

This one inspired by the recent thread on marriage…

2 Likes