Satanism in the Arts

In Victoria, we saw a poster sporting a toothful dragon, advertising a concert with a satanic theme.

Is anyone else noticing these kinds of concerts with themes of devils and dragons in your own communities? Any thoughts on what is going on in the arts these days with these kinds of themes?

1 Like

6 Likes

Haven’t noticed that so much but here’s a show with some Persian Puppets:

https://meanycenter.org/tickets/2023-10/production/hamid-rahmanians-song-north

Song of the North is a cinematic performance combining the manual art of shadow puppetry with projected animation to tell the courageous tale of Manijeh, a heroine from ancient Persia. Manijeh must use all her strengths and talents to rescue her beloved Bijan from a perilous predicament of her own making and help prevent a war. This epic love story, adapted from the Book of Kings (Shahnameh), employs a cast of 500 handmade puppets and a talented ensemble of nine actors and puppeteers to create a spectacular multimedia experience.

The theme in that clip does seem rather dark…, as does the artistry…

Have you been to see that puppet show?

No I haven’t seen this one, was just the darkest I could find on the upcoming show schedule but won’t be at the Meany theater till October. Great name for a theater, “The Meany.” Does look like there is a dragon or some kind of a monster (at 0:40 in trailer) in this one.

Depends what you mean exactly, Satan(ism) and demons in the arts have been there since the beginning -i would think.
And not just subliminals neither.
But if you feel an increased amount of it, i think ou probbly right about that.
But it isnt limited to culture,but an amped attack on the senses all over the board.
Pedophilia normalized through UN/WHO,the attack on children,rehular television broacasting and Hollywood of course.
But the devil has been prevalent in music through all times.
Paganini, the faustian deal and the tritone ( the devils chord)
If you want a peep into devil in todays music, here goes.

2 Likes

Well if you consider the 6th century A.D. to be, “the beginning” that is accurate, and much art from way before then could probably have also be about Satan if he was causing problems for people even before Christ.

"## Devil as a Fallen Angel

Early Christian authors including St Augustine, for instance, depicted the Devil as a fallen angel. Considering that he wasn’t a physical being, he could take on any form whatsoever and become a woman, a holy ghost, or any other creature depending on his goals and desires. However, in order to convey the message about the brutality of the Devil better, artists usually depicted Devils as scarier as they could.

The first visual depiction of the Devil can be traced back to the 6th century and a Roman mosaic found in The Basilica of Sant’ Apollinare Nuovo, in Italy. In the mosaic, Jesus is separating sheep, which represent the souls of the saved, and goats (the souls of the damned). Satan stands above the goats, depicted as an angel wearing a halo, much different from the terrifying portrayals that we are used to. Interestingly, here Satan is represented as the blue angel, standing opposite of the red angel, that symbolizes the holy kingdom. Soon, however, the color palette will change and red will become the go-to color for representations of the Devil and hell alike."

1 Like

Here is also Satan being killed by Michael:

Thanks @Michael1 and @Sphinx for sharing your thoughts, especially how far back the depictions of satan go. We live in what has been considered a small “artsy” city, and lately, we’re feeling a little overwhelmed with the posters around town, advertising dance, music, plays, poetry, art shows, and often, the posters leave us feeling like some malevolence has been projected outwards at us, just from the art. Also, your comment, Michael, about “red will become the go-to color for representations of the Devil and hell alike” – reminds me that some (actually, an recently increasing number) of the posters advertising upcoming events, at least locally, depict women (and men who dress as women) with much black in the background, and then the person wearing a screaming bright, blood red lipstick. We’re trying to grasp if there’s any meaning behind this beyond just some “trend” happening in the arts.

Thanks for your reply, that wasn’t actually my comment just a quote from that site I linked.

There is a lot of darker art these days, not sure what is going on with that can be unsettling.