The Coronation of Charles

I’m praying for it daily and declaring Psalm 94. Was hoping some catastrophe would prevent this outdated ritual from proceeding, was sickened by the number of people who turned up to cheer. Bread and circuses. Putting on a good show is one thing the Brits are still good at.

6 Likes

He sat on his throne slightly hunched over as people came up and placed items either on him or in his hands.

If he’s a ‘god’ he’s a man made one.

At one point he had what looked like a reed or thin staff in each hand which immediately reminded me of Egyptian Iconography, it wasn’t subtle.

They made a point of reporting that Katy Perry would be performing at the public celebration, this was basically the American Superbowl half time show.
Jimmy Saville would be proud.

3 Likes
1 Like

A spoiled child? Lack of gratefulness?

2 Likes

Usually like to watch these things, but this time naught. We truly live in a Grimms Brothers Fairy Tale and it is not happily ever-after.

2 Likes

Does this remind some of you of the Interview with RadioFarSide @radiofarside and the good doctor: Interview with bernard grover here on the royalist scenario.

Might have to look at this one again.

Sorry, couldn’t resist!

2 Likes

Merlin or the Grimm Reaper?

An insert for sure. People will make of that what works for them after the suggestion. Question, is it done by humans and or is it AI humor allready?

2 Likes

I only caught glimpses of the whole charade/coronation, but is it me or his majesty and his spouse looked misrable at all the times, and not that misery “I am tired and enough aleady”, but the one that says “we got some bad news”???

The British take on the whole spectacle…

2 Likes

I got the feeling that Chucky is not well when I saw him reading simple 2 and 3 word answers from a prompt card. Could also explain his grumpiness.

3 Likes

“Paid money to redeem the sword?”

Exactly. In a riot of acknowledged symbolism that marked this day, one of the key elements was that the Political Class (woman carrying The Sword of State literally handles/manages the King’s Power in exchange for a velvet bag of coins with his newly minted face minted on them! (This was part of the goings on at the altar as Charles was re-robed)…OK, can we have a more explicit symbol of bribery going on? It’s as if to say, “Hey we are telling you this is how it works, money is exchanged for power, and we are enfranchising it like a holy rite!”
And for participating in this buying and selling of the King’s rights to rule over The People, he gets a dandy jeweled luxury sword and a whole lotta swag, he wears his grandmother’s gold robe (which didn’t exactly fit - Emperor has no clothes of his own?) and his Concubine elevated too. And the Church sanctifies the whole thing, while the heir apparent present with his own son, signs onto the deal and seals it with a kiss, so this system will continue on ad nauseum.
The pageantry was lovely eye candy, like a theatrical history museum, and I enjoyed it. But it cost taxpayers in Britain a half a billion dollars for the lovely day, and Charles himself is said to be worth billions. I think he should have personally paid for at least half of it at a time when inflation due to misrule and war is burning through the wealth of the common man.
Perhaps it’s not so much Charles, but does Britain really need to support the raft of ‘non working royals’ that populated the third rail of seats in the royal box?
Still, inequality, snobbish class consciousness, a total amnesia about the vile and evil sins of royal cronies (Jimmy Saville) and the murder of wayward wives (Diana) is all very British, and so ingrained into the culture that the people will pay out the nose to celebrate such things with clockwork regularity. It makes me even prouder and more amazed at the bravery it must have taken to rebel against such tyranny whether it was Robin Hood, The Magna Carta, The American Revolution, The Punk movement…
Interesting namesake for King Charles 3.0 -
" The origins of the English Civil Wars are firmly rooted in the actions of one man: King Charles I - The British Library British Library

2 Likes

So what was with Charlie taking his vows behind a screen? How do we know what vows he took, and to whom? Creepy beyond measure.

2 Likes

@SteveJinks I believe I read somewhere several years ago, that, that was part of a masonic ritual. There was no further explanation at the time if I remember correctly. It could be untrue as well.

@undine I agree, Charlie does not look well; pale and drawn. As far as his cranky disposition, it very much reminds me of his Dad. Add to that an illness and this could get truly nasty. Wonder if he’s got George’s malady? So much inbreeding, who knows.

@RhebaRhae That’s a great interview. Thanks for posting it. I tend to agree with Doc; these people have amassed so much wealth over hundreds, even thousands of years, they’re certainly at the top of the pyramid.

Bonnye King Chuckles, long live this cautionary tale —— His spouse Camomilla-T chose, instead of the usual newly purpose-made crown, the olde crowne of Queen Mary* . All the subsequent pictures, however, taken show them both with nearly identical black crowns; quite unsettling, one feels…
As I understand it, there was( serendipitously… ) quite an hubbub immediately before the crowninge, as at least 3 nations claimed ownership of the massive( Hope?) diamond usually worn in the True Crown; apparently, this resulted in a decision to not use it – a strange decision for the new king-of-the-world… Any ideas on what this might mean, symbollically?

• Does anybody here know which Q. Mary??? Serious q.

@thebeaver

Mary of Teck, George V’s wife?

Some estimate the royal’s wealth to be around 17 trillion.