Where to move in the US?

That is priceless…sad but priceless! I’ve always thought of him as a Canadian Zoolander…

1 Like

oh trust me there is worse, Serbia has a finance minister that plagiarized his PHD thesis and refuses to resign and the president is not asking him to resign. Meanwhile his linkedin profile has grammar mistakes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware of the bracelet, thanks for that tidbit.

Only because he doesn’t have dementia. However he can charm the ladies (falsely ) and many refuse to see through it. That’s how he gets elected.

1 Like

Wow…an visible ankle bracelet! Now I’m going to be looking at full body photos and videos of the people in authority…it would explain a lot.

QVBB - That’s not an area I know much about, so I could only speak in generalities. But for what it’s worth…

Anything outside Southeast FL and the big cities is likely to be less covid-crazy. There’s often a close correlation between the political mix of the county and the attitude toward covid restrictions, so check out the politics of the individual county you’re considering (see, for example: Voter Registration - By County and Party - Division of Elections - Florida Department of State). It looks like that area isn’t in one of the highest-risk hurricanes zones, so that’s a plus. As far as hurricanes, wherever in the state you are, the farther from the coast, the better.

Also (for QVBB, qi1212, and others considering moving to/within the U.S.), some of the links in this Giza forum thread might be useful: Best States No Mandates.

2 Likes

Sorry to say, but hurricane trends have changed. It used to be safer inland, but “Michael” changed that.

1 Like

I’ve been through so many hurricane seasons, I’ve lost track of which hurricane was which. The only one I remember by name is Andrew, from way back when, since it was major and happened during a period when I was in FL. Did Michael somehow get more powerful after traveling across land than it was when it made landfall?

And I don’t mean to say any part of the state is totally free from hurricane risk; I was talking only about relative risk.

East Texas has many normal rual areas.

1 Like

I can help you. I recently helped a couple moving out of South Africa to a safe location, in an area where it would be very difficult to locate a person. The location is deeply rural, but shopping for essentials, like food and other stuff is no problem. Neighbors are friendly, but they are not pushy, or in your face. They have relocated from lots of different places. The area has 4 distinct seasons. The area has no continual law enforcement presence, because it is NOT NEEDED. I fact I have never observed any law enforcement in the area. Distance to medical facilities could be a factor… It is not the Garden of Eden of course, and but so what?

4 Likes

At a landfall of category 5, (including off-shore and inland), the storm made brief headlines at the time, and has quickly been forgotten.

While it didn’t become more powerful after landfall, destruction was still shockingly extensive away from the coast as it ripped through northern Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and beyond.

A quick search (preferably not with G****e) will yield results of news coverage and surprising photos of extensive inland Florida and out of state damage.

When I have considered moving in the past, I consider the climate. For me personally, a cold, snowy climate would render me useless. The humidity in the southern states, for me, is torture. My point is that I think this concept is an important starting point for relocating. A consideration of your biological ability to function somewhere (possibly) without the ability to control your environment yourself or through the energy grid. I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

dixiejrt - Thanks for bringing that up – it’s something I wasn’t aware of or had myself forgotten, since I’m not near the FL Panhandle… I always thought hurricanes rapidly lost intensity, at least in terms of wind speed, and became much less destructive when traveling over land. Of course, these days, with weather-manipulation tech and its (intended or unintended) consequences, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by anything!

1 Like

Very good point about climate! A move from Canada to Florida, for example, requires a major adjustment to a totally different climate…

3 Likes

QVBB, I would suggest looking at voting results for the federal and gubernatorial elections anywhere in Florida. I have some familiarity with this area. St. Augustine is in the 4th Congressional District; their member in the House of Representatives is named Rutherford. He helped drive Liz Cheney from Republican leadership … which was somewhat unexpected at the time. He was the Sherriff of Duval County, Florida before being elected to Congress.

The area a wee bit south of St. Augustine down to Palm Coast is the north end of the Sixth Congressional District with former Green Beret Michael Waltz (Republican) as the member in Congress. Personally, I might choose around Palm Coast but would likely choose somewhere to the north of it. Simply my opinion… but I hope it helps.

1 Like

Yes.
The general public has no idea…
It was still a Cat 3 in Georgia.

I think this a really good option. You won’t get fried by cell phone towers:

• United States National Radio Quiet Zone – Green Bank, West Virginia
    Originally created by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1958 to protect the radio telescopes in Green Bank and Sugar Grove, the United States National Radio Quiet Zone has become a safe haven for many who suffer from electromagnetic hypersensitivity. It includes 13,000 square miles that spans West Virginia, Virginia, and a small part of Maryland. Due to the sensitivity of the telescopes, wireless technology is banned within the zone, and radio, cellular, and other broadcast transmissions are restricted to certain frequencies. The few allowed transmitters operate at reduced power using highly directional antennas. This makes it an ideal refuge for many severe EHS sufferers who find themselves able to live more of a normal life inside the Quiet Zone.
5 Likes

Thank you for your valuable input.

west virginia is lovely. lots of non crazies live there. mountainous.

All good, more folks see where to move these ‘days’. I recently spoke to a couple who moved out of South Africa. At the least they have a pretty decent place to live for a few more months. Problem is, there are orbiting satellites watching us… ‘jus sayin’

1 Like