Where to move in the US?

East Texas has many normal rual areas.

1 Like

I can help you. I recently helped a couple moving out of South Africa to a safe location, in an area where it would be very difficult to locate a person. The location is deeply rural, but shopping for essentials, like food and other stuff is no problem. Neighbors are friendly, but they are not pushy, or in your face. They have relocated from lots of different places. The area has 4 distinct seasons. The area has no continual law enforcement presence, because it is NOT NEEDED. I fact I have never observed any law enforcement in the area. Distance to medical facilities could be a factor… It is not the Garden of Eden of course, and but so what?

4 Likes

At a landfall of category 5, (including off-shore and inland), the storm made brief headlines at the time, and has quickly been forgotten.

While it didn’t become more powerful after landfall, destruction was still shockingly extensive away from the coast as it ripped through northern Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and beyond.

A quick search (preferably not with G****e) will yield results of news coverage and surprising photos of extensive inland Florida and out of state damage.

When I have considered moving in the past, I consider the climate. For me personally, a cold, snowy climate would render me useless. The humidity in the southern states, for me, is torture. My point is that I think this concept is an important starting point for relocating. A consideration of your biological ability to function somewhere (possibly) without the ability to control your environment yourself or through the energy grid. I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

dixiejrt - Thanks for bringing that up – it’s something I wasn’t aware of or had myself forgotten, since I’m not near the FL Panhandle… I always thought hurricanes rapidly lost intensity, at least in terms of wind speed, and became much less destructive when traveling over land. Of course, these days, with weather-manipulation tech and its (intended or unintended) consequences, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by anything!

1 Like

Very good point about climate! A move from Canada to Florida, for example, requires a major adjustment to a totally different climate…

3 Likes

QVBB, I would suggest looking at voting results for the federal and gubernatorial elections anywhere in Florida. I have some familiarity with this area. St. Augustine is in the 4th Congressional District; their member in the House of Representatives is named Rutherford. He helped drive Liz Cheney from Republican leadership … which was somewhat unexpected at the time. He was the Sherriff of Duval County, Florida before being elected to Congress.

The area a wee bit south of St. Augustine down to Palm Coast is the north end of the Sixth Congressional District with former Green Beret Michael Waltz (Republican) as the member in Congress. Personally, I might choose around Palm Coast but would likely choose somewhere to the north of it. Simply my opinion… but I hope it helps.

1 Like

Yes.
The general public has no idea…
It was still a Cat 3 in Georgia.

I think this a really good option. You won’t get fried by cell phone towers:

• United States National Radio Quiet Zone – Green Bank, West Virginia
    Originally created by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1958 to protect the radio telescopes in Green Bank and Sugar Grove, the United States National Radio Quiet Zone has become a safe haven for many who suffer from electromagnetic hypersensitivity. It includes 13,000 square miles that spans West Virginia, Virginia, and a small part of Maryland. Due to the sensitivity of the telescopes, wireless technology is banned within the zone, and radio, cellular, and other broadcast transmissions are restricted to certain frequencies. The few allowed transmitters operate at reduced power using highly directional antennas. This makes it an ideal refuge for many severe EHS sufferers who find themselves able to live more of a normal life inside the Quiet Zone.
5 Likes

Thank you for your valuable input.

west virginia is lovely. lots of non crazies live there. mountainous.

All good, more folks see where to move these ‘days’. I recently spoke to a couple who moved out of South Africa. At the least they have a pretty decent place to live for a few more months. Problem is, there are orbiting satellites watching us… ‘jus sayin’

1 Like

Please tell me where this place is.

Please go to Florida! Thanks!

East Texas has many mosquitos, roaches, alligators, is hot and humid, gets lots of rain, usually a muddy mess. Oh, did I mention hurricanes like to move along the TX/LA border?

See that’s what I’m looking for! All the good and bad about the areas. Thanks for the comment!

Florida has those things too… to a greater or lesser degree depending on the time of year, the part of the state you’re in, and whether you’re in a house or a multistory building…

I think all you can do is prioritize and decide what’s most important to you and choose based on that, while realizing there’s going to be something you won’t like, or something new to adjust to, wherever you go.

2 Likes

I presented a realistic picture of East Texas. Oh, I didn’t mention the oodles of pine tree pollen and needles that cover everything outside a couple times per year.

Almost forgot a real biggie… FIRE ANTS! And when it floods, they float in mounds atop the water.

2 Likes

What water? They thrive well on dry land, LOL!